1. Default Chicago to South Carolina

I'm planning a trip from Chicago to Isle of Palms, SC. The ultimate destination is a music festival in South Carolina. We have 8 or 9 days total (still waiting for vacation approval on the 9th day). Is this enough time for this trip?

I'll be traveling with a friend (I will be picking her up in SW I guess the trip is really from MI to SC). Any suggestions for fun things to see along the way? This is my first road trip so I'm nervous and excited at the same time. We're both in our mid-twenties and will be looking a a place to stop for the night along the way (a hotel or possibly a B&B).

Green County, Wisconsin

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

8 Days would be enough time for this trip, you're looking at a good 2 days of driving each way, but that still leaves you a very healthy 4 days for exploration, either in SC or to spend some more time along the way.

Your most direct route pretty much takes you right through Smokey Mountain National park, and that's where I think I would start with my planning. You should be able to get to about Knoxville that first night - or even look for a B&B on the Tennessee side of SMNP, which will leave you time to spend the morning doing a little exploring with about a 6 hour drive to finish your trip into SC.

Joplin MO

It's a reasonable 2 day drive each way as long as you don't get too far off the beaten path. The halfway point will be somewhere between Lexington KY and Knoxville TN. Fastest route depends on exactly where in SW MI you are leaving from, but you would want to get to Lexington via either Louisville or Cincinnati, then take I-75 to Knoxville, I-40 to Asheville, then I-26 to Charleston.

Lexington is surrounded by horse farms - if you are interested you could visit the Kentucky Horse Park. There's the Biltmore Estate in Asheville, it's called America's largest home. You can stay there, but I doubt you would want to pay the price.

4. Default

Thank you for the feedback and I'm sorry for the delay in response!

We will be leaving from Kalamazoo, MI and I believe that we're going to stop in Charleston, WV night 1 (about an 8 hour drive).

Day two we're going to travel to Charlotte, NC for the night (4 hour drive), leaving another 4 hour drive before we get to out final destination in SC.

Any suggestions for things to do in Charleston, WV or Charlotte, NC?

Our return route will be more direct and I think we'll be staying somewhere near Knoxville. Thanks again!