1. Default Driving from Calgary to Newfoundland

Hi all out there, newbie here. I would really really like to take a road trip this summer from Calgary to the East Coast and I really need some help. This is huge for me, as normally I'm nervous about driving as I would literally get lost in a cul-de-sac. I do have a new GPS so I'm hoping that will come in handy. Geography is another thing I'm lousy at, so I would love to get some help regarding what routes to take for the best sites along the way. I would love to stop in Toronto (shopping), Montreal along the way. I won't be in any hurry. I've wanted to see this beautiful country of Canada for sooo long, and the furthest I've driven is Calgary to Banff, I've been in Canada for 33 years. I'm not getting any younger (God bless me), so I figure now is the time. Any help anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated. By the way I'm female and I'll be travelling alone. Thanks in advance. Irishbernie

Do you want to stay in Canada all the way, or do you want to take part of the trip through the US? There are quite a few ways you can go.

EDIT: The Trans-Canada Highway site is a wealth of information. It should be able to help you plan your trip. I would also recommend you get a good set of paper maps and do not rely solely on a GPS.
    Last edited by glc; 05-30-2010 at 11:16 PM.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    Do you want to stay in Canada all the way, or do you want to take part of the trip through the US? There are quite a few ways you can go.

EDIT: The Trans-Canada Highway site is a wealth of information. It should be able to help you plan your trip. I would also recommend you get a good set of paper maps and do not rely solely on a GPS.
    I'd love to go through the US, hadn't realized that I could. Where's a good place to get paper maps? I hate them things you get a petrol stations. Thanks for replying glc

I would recommend you join the CAA. They have maps and travel planning services, in addition to roadside assistance.

The only things you will need to drive through the US are a passport and proof of insurance. If you take the majority of the trip through the US, you would be going through Chicago. Another place would be the "shortcut" between Montreal and the Maritime provinces. I ran the route from Calgary to Newfoundland on my mapping software, and it says the fastest way is indeed through a large portion of the northern US states and through Chicago. You will have to make decisions based on what you want to see and experience.

If you will be returning to Calgary, why not go through the US one way and through Canada the other way?

5. Default

I do belong to CAA. I'll check that out. I'd love to travel through the States as well. Thank you sooo very much for your help. I will be returning to Calgary so that's a good idea to travel through both countries. Any suggestions for good sights and experiences. I'm open to anything and everything. Me family will probably do their nut when I tell them I'm undertaking this trip, they think I shouldn't be let out on me own:) Again, many thanks to you for taking the time to reply to my posts. irishbernie
    Last edited by AZBuck; 05-31-2010 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Quote of entire previous post removed

Default Who's in Charge?

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

This is why I don't like GPS except as a backup and handy moving map. It knows nothing about my desires or what makes a good RoadTrip route for me. It might give you a choice between fastest in time or shortest in miles, but that's about the extent of its 'intelligence'. You have many options for this trip: An 'all Canada' route that follows the Trans Canada highway through Regina, Winnipeg, Thunder Bay and Sudbury. A US Interstate route that follows SA-39/US-52 down to I-94 to Chicago, I-90 to Boston, I-95 to Bangor, ME and finally ME-9/NB-1/NB-2/NS-104 to Sydney. A 'Through the Lakes' route that follows US-2 from Minot, ND to Sault Ste. Marie where it rejoins the Trans Canada, and any number of other options. This is where a good atlas that provides both continent scale and province/state scale maps would come in handy in your planning. Several good ones are reviewed here.

AZBuck