1. Default Best route form Toronto, Canada to Assateague, MD, and Assatague, MD, to Newport, RI?

Hi all,

Can someone tell me the best route to take to get to Assateague from Toronto and great places to visit along the way. We are a family of four with 2 boys aged 2 and 6. We are looking forward to this trip! We will spend a week in Assateague and then we will drive to Newport, RI. We are not in a hurry and we are planning to take the ferry in Lewis and explore the coast on our way to RI. Any tips, suggestions, favorite restaurants and so on would be really appreciated!

Thanks for your help dear fellow road trippers :-)

Tucson, AZ

Default "Best" Depends

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

'Best' is a word we don't use much around here because there is simply no single 'best' route. If you're in a hurry to get to Assateague, then the Interstates will get you there in the shortest amount of time: I-90/I-81/I-476/I-95/DE-1/US-113. If you can take your time and want to show your youngsters some sights along the way, then I-390/I-86/US-15 down the Susquehanna River Valley to Harrisburg, US-30/US-322/PA=472 through Amish country to Fair Hill, MD and MD-213/US-40/DE-72 to DE-1. While in the Assateague vicinity, give some thought to visiting neighboring Chincoteague Island. Although it's just to the south, you'll have to take the long way round, returning to the mainland, taking US-113/US-13 down into Virginia, and using VA-175 back to the coast. The reward is twofold. There's a little NASA launch facility and small museum at Wallops Island, just outside Chincoteague, and Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge is one of the best there is, particularly if you have bicycles.

Between Assateague and New York, there isn't much choice. Take the ferry, the Garden State Parkway and I-95. A great place to visit is Mystic Seaport in Connecticut. If you do, try to have a meal at Abbott's Lobster House in Noank and stop for some home made ice cream at the little shop in Mystic just on the west side of the US-1 bridge over the Mystic river. In Newport, there is a great little restaurant that shares a building with the US Lawn Tennis Hall of Fame where you can sit court side.

Finally, on your way home, consider swinging around the east and north sides of Lake Ontario and visit the Thousand Islands region on the way.