1. Default Illinois to Long Beach, any Suggestions?

My wife and I are planning a 2 week trip from central Illinois to Long Beach, CA, and back the last two weeks in July. Google shows 2 routes, a northern option that goes through Omaha, Denver and Las Vegas, and a Southern Route via St. Louis, OK City, and Amarillo. Much to my surprise, there is only a 3 mile difference between the two routes, so we plan to take one on the way out and return on the other.

We will be visiting friends in Colorado Springs Co.and Viburnum Mo. along the way, and their availability will determine the order of the routes.
    Please let us know of any events/places that you think might be of interest along the way and worth working into our plans. Also; anything to watch out for or avoid. We will be driving a midsized sedan.
    Thanks in advances.

All suggestions will be welcome.

Tucson, AZ

Default Fit In What You Can

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Well, assuming you want to spend a little time in Long Beach for all your efforts in getting there, and want to spend a day with each of your friends en route, you really won't have a lot of time to stop at events along the way. But certainly you should take 'sanity' breaks every so often and make a few hours to see the major attractions of Zion National Park on the 'northern' route and the Grand Canyon on the 'southern'.

3. Default Thanks

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into Zion national park. We have done the Grand Canyon, I'm thinking there should be some interesting things to see in or around Albuquerque.

South of England.

Default Indeed.

Hi, Yep, there is a fare bit to see and do in the Santa Fe/Albu area here and some more suggestions here.

There is a lot to do in the Colorado Springs area that I am sure your friends will help with, such as Garden of the Gods and Wind of the caves, you might fancy a trip up Pikes peak. A few other possibilities in CO would include Rocky mountain NP, Currecanti Nat rec area and Black canyon along US 50, into Utah there is Arches NP and Canyonlands as well as Zion and Bryce canyons, plus much more ! You will have to pick and choose, as half your time will be spent with full days on the road, but that's all part of the fun !

Take a look around the RTA pages you will find a wealth of info and routes to help you on your way.

Tucson, AZ

Default Around Albuquerque

Albuquerque is, I think, more typical of big cities everywhere than a unique destination. But nearby Petroglyph National Monument is certainly worth a visit and downtown Santa Fe, a short detour via US-285 north and I-25 south (or vice versa), is more Southwestern in architecture and ambience. Also along I-40 in Arizona are the Petrified Forest/Painted Desert and Meteor Crater.