First time poster and I'm not a frequent here, so I hope to god that I'm not doing any faux-pas as far as forum rules go.
I'm from outside the US - and I am planning to take a road trip in the states in September, purely touristic. I am currently trying to weigh my options and plan the expenditure, and frankly I'm a bit lost, and I thought maybe you guys could help me out.
First off, timeframe is mid-September, for 2-2.5 weeks. The number of people is not finalized yet either, but it's anywhere between two and four. The options I'm currently considering are:
* Southeast - Florida (start in Key West and work all the way up), New Orleans, Texas
* Southwest - LA, SF, Las Vegas, national parks, maybe San Diego
* Northeast - NYC, Atlantic City, DC, Philly, Pittsburgh, Ohio (Cedar Point, Cincy)
The order pretty much mirrors how I like each option - southeast is the most preferable, followed by southwest, and northeast the least, mainly due to the weather aspects.
* What sort of weather should I expect in FL/CA during the mid-late September timeframe? (I don't need to know the exact temps, just that it's not monsoon season or something...)
* I'm planning to travel with a car (as opposed to an RV). Do you think it's wise?
* Given the fact it's a passenger car and it's for 2-2.5 weeks, I'm thinking I should rent (rather than buy and sell). What's the average going rate for that? Should I consider buying and selling at all?
* Is it realistic to do FL --> TX in 2-2.5 weeks? Google maps says it's 24hrs drive, so I think I'll average a couple of hours of driving per day. Since I never took a road trip I don't know - is that reasonable?
* What's the average rate for "roadside motels" in FL/LA/TX?
* During the few nights that I will stay within cities (New Orleans, Orlando, Key West etc.), from browsing in the internet I see that a decent (3-star) hotel is around $80 for a couple. Am I looking in the wrong places or does this figure sound correct?
* I'm a Pittsburgh Steelers fan and they're playing at Tampa Bay Sep. 26th. Cheapest tickets for that go for ~$50 at this time. Should I be in a hurry with this?
* Most importantly, do you think that the route I described is an appealing one?
Wherever I'm asking figures I obviously don't really expect a definitive answer (or anything near that), I'm looking more for a ballpark estimation in order to make a very rough estimation for the overall expenditure.
Thanks in advance for all your help!