Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Sacramento, CA to SW Florida in 4 days

Hi guys,

I have a really tight schedule and need to drive from Sac to FL.
    I have some questions to the route.
    There are three possibilities:

1.) From Sac down to L.A. and in L.A. on I-10 with a first stop for the night in Tucson,a second stop in San Antonio, and third stop somewhere on the way. I am a little afraid of the traffic in L.A. What would be the best time to have free roads in L.A.?

2.) Sac over highway 99 to Bakersfield. Then on I-40 all the way till I-55. First stop would be in Flagstaff. How is the road between Bakersfield and I-40?

3.)On I-40 but driving through Wichita Falls and then on I-20.

As I don't have time for sightseeing, what route would give me the highest average speed? I know that the average speed in the south should be pretty high?

Thank You

Chris

Default No, No and No

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

The simple fact is that you are trying to cover 3000 miles in less than 4 days (Note that most of your 'days' will only be 23 hours long due to time zone changes). That's 750 miles a day and is not sustainable. Trying to find a route that will magically allow you to do this without becoming a danger to yourself and others is akin to rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. It ain't gonna help. You need to take at least another day in order to complete this trip safely.

AZBuck

3. Default

Hi,

maybe I underestimated the lenght. But don't you think that 700miles a day should be possible? So, I should calculate 5days for it.

Chris

Default 700 Miles a Day

One can, by getting a good night's sleep, setting out early, and driving continuously with only minimal stops for food fuel and bathrooms, manage to drive 700 miles in a very long day. But that will leave you totally exhausted. You were planning to do more than that, 750 miles, every day for four straight days. And short days at that. That is NOT possible. Five days is the absolute minimum safe driving time, and even at that you will have to drive 600 miles each day, no small feat in itself. Even with your 'extra' day, I don't think you're going to enjoy this drive.

AZBuck

5. Default

Hey AzBuck,

thanks for your help. Which route would you suggest?

Default Keep It Simple and Short

I-5/I-210/I-10/I-75. Any other route adds both miles and time. There is no such thing as "free roads in L.A." Just try to avoid the worst of the morning and evening rush hours, and grin and bear it.

AZBuck

What you need to do is get out of Sac around the crack of dawn to get through LA before afternoon rush. Your target overnights need to be Blythe, El Paso, San Antonio, and New Orleans. If you can go farther without feeling tired or losing the bubble, that would be a plus. My only caution would be that services are quite far apart between El Paso and San Antonio - if you choose to drive past El Paso, know what's available where beforehand. There is also not a heck of a lot between Blythe and Phoenix other than gas stations and RV parks. Note that the speed limit on I-10 is 80 mph across most of West Texas - in daytime. Texas has a 65 mph night limit.

You will have the best endurance if you leave very early in the morning and be off the road before dark. It's quite dangerous driving into night after driving all day. The only issue with leaving early in the morning is driving east into the rising sun.

8. Default

Ok thanks,

so you suggest that i take the interstate all the time? Google says that the other roat is short, but it is porbabely slower..

What other road are you referring to? You have to balance speed limits against pure mileage. With very few exceptions, you have to take Interstates when you are on a time crunch. Sure, you can take 5 to 46 to 99 to Bakersfield then 58 over to Barstow, but then what are you going to do? I-40 takes you too far north, and you can't do 80 mph anywhere legally along that route.

10. Default

Ok,

that makes sence. I will probabely leave around 5am, so that I will be in LA around noon. I hope that the traffic won't be bad.

Thanks!!