1. Default Solo-Florida to Wisconsin and DC

So I'm leaving for Air Force Basic Military Training on August 31. I have a meeting on June 21 and on July 19. So a vacation is only imminent. My mom is a little skeptical, as I will be alone (I'm almost 21) and how a seven day cruise will suffice. I'm more set on driving yet still skeptical.

I'm in central Florida in-between Tampa and Orlando. I have over 20 days to do this so I would love to take my time and most importantly stay safe. I'm considering couchsurfing, or simply sleeping in my car when needed. (freecampsites.net?). I have family in Wisconsin and I have cheese curds withdrawals. Also a family friend in the DC area. Where should I end each day? Atlanta, Indianapolis, spend a few hours in Chicago then Milwaukee.

And Wisconsin to DC... I would like to make DC for the 4th. And on the way to each location where should I stop along the ways. Im more set for the scenic aspect, so any breathtaking sights or awesome routes? Any tips and suggestion is greatly appreciated.

Default Huh?

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Quote Originally Posted by pro2010

I would love to take my time and most importantly stay safe. I'm considering couchsurfing, or simply sleeping in my car when needed.
    Sorry but those are two diametrically opposed statements. There is simply nothing 'safe' about sleeping in random people's houses or trying to sleep by the side of random roads. So my first bit of advice would be to can any such plans while attempting to sell this as a mature adult trip. Certainly there is nothing intrinsically unsafe about a RoadTrip of the length that you describe, but you will have to take the usual precautions that you would around your own home town, and that absolutely includes bedding down in a safe comfortable environment so that you can get a good night's sleep before taking to the road in the morning.

With that out of the way, and noting that I have no idea where you're headed in Wisconsin so I used Stevens Point as a relatively central location, over night stops on your way north would be roughly Atlanta and Effingham, IL. If you plan to spend a few hours in Chicago and Milwaukee on your way north, you might as well plan on spending your third night in Milwaukee. The Cleveland area would make a reasonable stop on the way to Washington, and Florence, SC works for your last leg taking into account that you'll probably be delayed by traffic leaving DC.

AZBuck

3. Default

By staying safe I'm simply implying on driving comfortably. So by not rushing things, taking my time, enjoying myself I consider safe.. I will take full precaution to potentially couchsurf. That is not the safety that I am concerned about I am more concerned about being fully rested and driving to the alertness that is required to drive a 3,000 round trip. So basically I fear the road more than I fear a complete stranger.

Default Sleep = Safety

Quote Originally Posted by pro2010

I am more concerned about being fully rested and driving to the alertness that is required to drive a 3,000 round trip.
    But that's exactly my point. Do you seriously think you'll get a good night's sleep in someone's couch or in your car by the side of the road? Such long term drives need to be treated like the serious work they are rather than as something that can be done in a less than ideal state of alertness.

But you're young, 10 feet tall, and bullet proof so let's move on to your other questions. If you're looking for scenic alternatives to the most direct routes between your destinations and have the time to spare, then you can consider the Woodlands Trace up through the Land Between the Lakes in TN/KY, parts of old Route 66 through central IL and the Lake Erie Coastal Trail in Ohio, the old National Road in southwestern PA and western MD, and the Blue Ridge Parkway in Virginia. All will cost time and miles, but time you've got.

AZBuck