1. Default Groundhog Day to Grand Canyon

My girlfriend Natalie and myself are planning a road-trip to the Southwest this Summer from Woodstock, IL (the site of the movie "Groundhog Day" w/Bill Murray) to The Grand Canyon. We are going to either heath south and through Texas, making stops in Missouri (St. Louis) and Dallas, and also Austin, in TX. We would also like to stop in Tuscon while in AZ. On the way back, we plan on taking the faster route through Utah, Colorado, Nebraska, then Iowa. I was just wondering if I can get any advice on things to see along the way, an idea of fuel cost, how many days I should figure this will take (with rests at some of the major stops and also 2-3 days at the Grand Canyon), and any other advice this forum might have. We are planning it for sometime in June (10-30 are open days for us).

Thanks in advance,

New User "Travelin" Matt

Joplin MO

Fuel Cost Calculator

To be safe, figure $3 a gallon.

If you have 20 days, you have time to do all that. Simply driving point to point on Interstates, try to limit yourselves to 550 miles a day. I would allow plenty of time for the return trip because there is so much to see in UT and CO.

3. Default

Yeah, I did the fuel calculator right after I posted this (guess I shoulda looked into that first). We won't be too much in Utah, just the area north of Grand Canyon and west of Colorado on our way in. But, if there is any good hiking or parks around there, we will be sure to stop. I will save a trip to Utah for another time, perhaps on a return from Vegas...

Thanks GLC!

Joplin MO

That's essentially where everything is - Zion, Bryce Canyon, Capitol Reef, Arches, Canyonlands, and Monument Valley.