1. Default Rookies Here: Nashville to LA in 4 days w/ 3 young kids. WHAT are we thinking???

Hi there, I was feeling pretty confident about this idea when we started thinking about it. Now...4 days away from our departure, I'm starting to get nervous.

We're driving from Nashville to LA in 4 days. (Leaving on a Friday late afternoon/evening), then checking into our hotel in Anaheim sometime on Tuesday morningish. In between, we're completely unsure of the itinerary. Part of me wants to reserve the roadtrip hotels now (deal website) so that we can get a good rate, but then are afraid that we'll be completely off in our estimates.

Our longest roadtrip prior to this was 3 1/2 hours away and back in the same day. The kids did great, but this is a whole new ballgame.

My husband and I will be sharing the driving duties. We will have a 7, 4, and 2 year old in tow. I'm trying to Triptik it, but haven't had much luck with that yet.

What suggestions would some of you have? We want this to be a fun, adventurous sort of thing, but I'm a little Type A, so just hitting the road with no idea where we'll be staying at night is not sitting well with me.

Green County, Wisconsin

Default a math problem

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

The biggest problem you've got right now is that you're saying you've got 4 days, but in reality you've really only got 3 since you're not leaving til Friday night and you have to be there Tuesday morning. This is a 2000 mile trip, which means you're looking at 4 full days on the road.

If you leave Friday night and can drive to Memphis - and considering that's about the distance of your longest trip so far, I'd say that's pretty good for leaving in the afternoon/evening presumably after work?

That will set you up to have overnight stops in Elk City, OK; Gallup NM; and Barstow, CA. You pretty much will have to make it to Barstow to make it to Anaheim anytime on Tuesday morning, since that's could easily take you 3 hours once you factor in traffic.

Those drives are all going to be about 575 miles and will put you on the road for at least 10-12 hours each day. That's really not going to leave much time for fun - other than just making a few quick stops at places right off the Freeway. I'm hoping you're also not planning to have too big of plans on Tuesday - like visiting Disney - as I think you'll want a little time to recover.