Default Toronto-Wildwood, NJ

Hello all, I'm planning a trip from Toronto to Wildwood, NJ in August. We have 10 days and we'd like to take a scenic route (perhaps camp somewhere en route). We are travelling with a 9 year old and our family has a thing for odd roadside attractions (the journey is as important as the destination for us).

Does anyone have any suggestions for a scenic, possibly off-the-beaten-path route?

Many thanks in advance.

Tucson, AZ

Default Take the Long Way Around

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

If the purpose of the drive down is as much about entertaining and educating your child as just 'getting there', and you have two days for the journey, then yes, there are better alternatives than simply following the Interstates. Take a look at this discussion of the trip from roughly Niagara to Gettysburg and Amish country. Then I'm going to suggest that you take your child on the grand adventure of an 'ocean cruise' on your way to Wildwood. You would do this by heading down the Delmarva Peninsula on MD-213 through the quaint town of Chestertown (stop to see if the Sultana is in port) and on to Wye Mills where MD-404/DE-404/De-18/US-9 will take you across the peninsula to Lewes and the ferry to Cape May and Wildwood. I'd suggest camping overnight in southern Pennsylvania. Unfortunately, most of the state parks in that area do not offer camping facilities. One that does is Gifford Pinchot.