1. Default TX to CA road trip

I am planning on driving from Austin, TX to Fremont, CA. I have never been on a road trip this long. I will be the only person in the car and as such am thinking of completing this trip over three days (start 5/27 and reach the destination 5/29). I have no plans for any sight seeing on this trip.

So, a couple of questions that I have are:

1. Based on the information from Google maps, it appears that the distance/time to complete the trip is the same irrespective of going on I-10W or I-40W. Which one is better, I-10 or I-40?

2. Any recommendations in terms of what would be the best place to stop overnight for two nights during the trip?

3. I have got my car inspected and it is ready for the road trip. Any other things that I need to take care of prior to starting the trip?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Tucson, AZ

Default Three Solid Days of Work

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

It is just possible (emphasis on 'just') to complete this trip in three days. But you will need to commit to those three days being hard 12 hour days. When Google Maps and other software compute driving times they assume that you can drive at or above the speed limit constantly with no slowing down or stopping for traffic, gas, food, bathroom breaks or anything else. A better way to estimate how far you can get in a day is to use simple rules of thumb such as you can average 55 mph, or that 550 miles is a solid day of driving. In your case, you'll need to cover 1735 miles by the shortest, I-10/I-5 route. That's 580 miles a day, so a little bit more than we would recommend. Going by I-40 adds miles that you simply don't have time for. The one thing working in your favor is that California is two hours behind Texas so that 2 of your days are 25 hours long. Your overnight choices are fairly limited: El Paso, TX and Blythe, CA.

Joplin MO

The fastest route is I-10 and I-5.

If you are a novice to solo cross-country roadtripping, I'd recommend you make it a 4 day drive. It can be done in 3 days, but at 1750 miles, this would put you on the road for about 12 hours a day with minimal stops. This can get quite tiring when you do this 3 days in a row. If you do this, stops would be El Paso and Blythe CA. This would also put you through LA at midday, when the traffic is not that terrible. I'd jog up I-15 to 210 around San Bernardino rather than take I-10 through the middle of LA.

If you want to bypass LA completely, take US-95 out of Blythe up to I-40, then take that to CA-58.

South of England.

Default On the limit

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

As you are looking for the quickest route, the advantage of US 84/ I 40 is that it misses the urban sprawl of LA.

You are covering a lot of ground in a limited amount of time, right on the maximum of what we would consider safe for a solo driver. I don't know of "best" places to stay overnight but to split your trip into segments you would be looking at Santa Rosa NM and Kingman AZ area's to stop.