Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default National Park roadtrip honeymoon

Later this summer in August I am considering taking a national park road trip honeymoon.

I live in the DFW area of Texas, but my wedding is at Estes Park, CO, and we will be driving there anyway, so afterwards we are thinking about taking 2 weeks

and just road tripping to some national parks.

Here's my tentative schedule:

Estes Park to Jackson WY

Grand Teton

Yellowstone to Moab

Moab to Bryce Canyon

Bryce Canyon

Drive to Vegas

Drive to Flagstaff

Grand Canyon

Drive to El Paso
    (the only reason is because his mother lives there and we have a house to crash before making our way back to dfw)

El paso to DFW

To save on costs, we are planning to camp, stay at hostels, and/or stay at cheap cabins.
    For food, we are planning to eat out a cooler and buying food at grocery stores/etc. We are also considering buying a simple camping stove and a pot. We might stop by at unique local eateries to try the local cuisine once in awhile.

So now the questions-
    How long minimum do you think a trip like that should take? How many days should we stay in each area?
    Should we buy a national park pass?
    Since I am planning to go to 4 different parks in Utah, is that overkill? Should I just stick with one or two?
    What's the weather in Utah in August? Is camping feasible, or should we stick with a cabin/hotel with AC?
    Best and easy roadtrip/camping meal suggestions? (If we have access to a cooler, a simple burner, a pot, and perhaps a grill or campfire at site. Prefer meals that leave easy cleanup afterwards)
    What else are must bring items?

Finally, any top tips for your favorite local eats place, must do things, and places to check out in any of the national parks or cities we will be passing through.
    Also, any must-stop places along the route we shouldn't miss? We will check out roadsideamerica, but otherwise, any other unique places you would personally recommend?

Joplin MO

Definitely buy a parks pass. It's $80 and good for a year. Generally, if you are visiting more than 4 parks it pays for itself.

If you want to spend multiple days at some of these parks, 2 weeks is going to be pushing it. You need to map out the trip (add 20% to online mapping program drive times) and see what you come up with. I have a feeling you may have to slim this trip down a bit.

Not only is 4 parks in Utah not overkill, you could even add Capitol Reef and Cedar Breaks. However, that's just going to put you in more of a time crunch unless you just want to do some drivebys.

Camping in Utah should not be a problem - in fact, it can even get cold at night at Bryce Canyon, it's at around 9000 feet elevation. Play it by ear, if you wind up in a heat wave go find a motel.

3. Default

Those are great parks to visit.

One of the best kept secrets of Zion is the Narrows Walk down the Virgin River. At that time of year, the cool water will be a great comfort in the 100 degree heat. It's such an awesome and beautiful experience, that it would be a great stop on your honeymoon. However, hotel or camping, getting reservations will save you some big headaches.

This place has a crowded campground as well as a hotel. It's nothing special, except for the fact that it's very conveniently located just outside Zion; and there is a shuttle stop right there. The city runs frequent free shuttle buses through town and into the park.

Google ZION NARROWS WALK, or check out these links.

A video that gives you some idea of what to expect

Happy Honeymoon!

South of England.

Default NPS Campgrounds get full.

Hello, congratulations and welcome to the forums !

You can comfortably cover the miles but, as has already been said, if you want to spend some time enjoying time at places it might be a little more rushed than you want for a honeymoon trip.

If you spent a couple of nights in Rocky mountain NP, Yellowstone, Moab [Arches and Canyonlands NP's] Zion, Grand canyon and Vegas plus travelling and nights at other stops I would be looking at 18 days to enjoy it. If only 14 days were available I would consider leaving Yellowstone and enjoy a little more of Colorado and Utah.

If you want to camp in the National parks it could already be too late for bookings, but if you can work out a time table it's worth looking on the NPS website A.S.A.P.

5. Default national park road trip (rmnp, grand teton, yellowstone, rushmore, badlands)

I was originally thinking about traveling through Utah and Arizona, but since it'll be in August, it'll be HOT and I'm not sure if I want to deal with the heat, so I did a little re-routing my roadtrip.

Here's my new plans:
    Estes Park -> Grand Tetons np-> Yellowstone np-> Glacier np -> Big horn national forest -> black hills national forest/jewel cave/mount rushmore -> badlands np -> (of coures, with an overnight somewhere) DFW

So my questions are:
    Since Grand Teton's campgrounds are non-reservable, when should I start going there and looking for a campsite? When would it be filled up? It's going to be the second half of August.
    Also, same questions with Glacier national park. I know some campgrounds are reserveable, but most are not.

Or would it be easier to camp outside (but near) the national parks? If so, which campgrounds would you recommend? We're just doing tent camping, no RVs.

And since we might arrive at Grand Teton and Glacier later in the day (late afternoon to early evening), maybe we should stay in a hotel or cabin for that night since we might not want to put up a tent/etc if its late. When does it get dark?

For Big Horn, Black Hills, and Badlands - where should we stay? What's the nearest town we should stay at? Or should we camp? If so, should we camp in the national forest/park or an outside campground?

Finally, where should we stop on our way to dallas? Should we reserve a spot or just drive until we want to stop and find a cheap motel or place to camp?

The badlands can be nasty hot in August. Go early in the day and bring plenty of water.

For the Black Hills, you might want to see about camping in Custer State Park. It's a beautiful place. I've never camped there so I can't give you any advice about which campground.

7. Default

Oh, and in case anyone's wondering why I'm starting at Estes Park, it's because I'm already there for my wedding and would be there for a week (already driven from dallas to estes previously) before starting out to the rest of my roadtrip

Mod note] Please keep all questions about this trip in one thread.
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 05-22-2010 at 12:55 AM.

8. Default camping and cold summer nights?

This mid/late August we will be coming to visit the national parks of the north (grand teton, yellowstone, glacier, etc), but I am still deciding if I want to stay in a hotel or go camping.

We're from Texas, so camping here, the day and night temperature doesn't fluctuate too much. I've read at in August up there though, it can get to the 40s and 50s, and to us Texans, that's cold.

Our tent is a cheap Coleman Sundome 3-man tent, so we are wondering if we need to get a better, better for weather tent? Also, we usually use blankets on an air mattress pad, but we are not sure if we really need to get heavy duty sleeping bags instead? The only problem is that I don't sleep straight up and down (I tend to curl up), and so I don't know if that would be comfortable for me.

Any other must-have camping supplies? A camp stove? Lantern?

Any opinions?
    Last edited by AZBuck; 07-09-2010 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Merged with previous poosts about this trip

Western/Central Massachusetts

Default Be prepared for colder than that!

What is your experience with camping thus far? If it's only been in Texas warmth, you're going to want to be prepared for much different weather. I've camped near Yellowstone in July and was greeted with a significant wind/rain storm that had some snow mixed in, so it gets even colder than what you've heard! If I recall correctly, the temperature hit a low of 29 degrees during our trip. I would definitely recommend heavier duty sleeping bags as straight blankets are unlikely to cut it should the weather behave in that fashion. We have two heavy-duty bags that we open completely and zip together to function as blankets, rather than using them in the traditional "mummy" style.

A few things I feel are essential for camping trips, besides tent/sleeping gear are a light source, whether a lantern or a good quality flashlight, a decent cooler, and a portable grill. I especially enjoy taking the grill out and having a nice hot lunch at rest areas that are conducive to grilling. Sandwiches are fine but tend to be a bit of a drag after a few days of eating them over and over again.

10. Default

Well, when I was really young (like 7), my parents and I have camped in Canada (because we lived there), but I really don't remmeber anything about it at all
    Last edited by AZBuck; 07-09-2010 at 01:50 PM. Reason: Merged with previous posts about this same trip