1. Default Orange County to Vegas to Flagstaff

My family is getting ready to drive from San Clemente, CA to Flagstaff, AZ. I have a 4 yr. old boy and 5.5 yr. old girl. My husband wants to stop in Vegas on the way and spend the night so the kids can see the Pirate show and maybe take a gondola ride. We plan on leaving June 3rd and want to be in AZ on June 5th. What will be our best route? Any ideas for more stops along the way? How about things to do in Flagstaff besides driving to see the Grand Canyon?

Joplin MO

Depends exactly where in OC you are, but you will want to get to I-15 and take that all the way to LV. I picked Costa Mesa, and from there you would probably take 55 to 91 and pick up 15 in Corona. It's about 275 miles and can be done in 4 to 5 hours depending on traffic and how fast you drive.

From LV to Flagstaff you would take I-515 to US-93 over the Hoover Dam to Kingman and pick up I-40. This is 250 miles and again, about 4 to 5 hours plus depending on how long the delay is to get through security to cross the dam. Alternative to crossing the dam is take the truck bypass - US-95 to NV-163 through Laughlin and Bullhead City, AZ-68 to US-93.

You have an opportunity to drive the longest stretch of Route 66 still in existence - from Kingman to Seligman. This would add about an hour to the trip.

In addition to the Grand Canyon, the following attractions are near Flagstaff:

Sunset Crater
    Petrified Forest

Green County, Wisconsin

Default solid idea

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I think your current plan sets you up for a very nice trip.

Your first day you can make the trip up to Vegas via I-15. Its a bit out of the way, and Vegas isn't a great family destination, but I'd bet your kids will enjoy seeing all the bright lights and some of the free shows - like the Pirates and the Bellagio Fountains.

From there, you can make your way to Flagstaff, heading over the Hoover Dam on your way to I-40. Of course, you can detour onto Old Route 66 for a chunk of the trip. And of course, once you are in Flagstaff, there are plenty of things to do beyond the drive to the Grand Canyon. Wupatki, Sunset Crater, and Walnut Canyon National Monuments are all nearby, and the Petrified Forest/Painted Desert is an easy trip down the road, and of course Sedona is a tourist attraction in its own right.

Las Vegas, Nevada

Default A route suggestion

Speaking as a Las Vegas local -- this is a very family friendly place -- There are several afternoon magician shows that are geared to younger audiences and the properties have plenty to look at. The pirate show is a bit sexy these days -- I think the Volcano might be a bit more of a treat -- Flaming balls in water are always a treat!

Here's a route that you might consider -- Nice photos and some suggested attractions on the way.

5. Default

Thanks for the suggestions. I wasn't thrilled with the Vegas idea at first but I'm sure the kids will enjoy swimming in the pool and seeing the lights. We'll keep it simple.