1. Default Advice on getting to Telluride via Saguache or NM

Hello,
    I am driving from Indiana to Telluride next month. Last summer we took this trip over the Monarch pass. I had no idea it was so steep and I had to deal with vertigo while driving through. I did not enjoy driving over the pass although I did appreciate the wide roads! I love being in the mountains but not driving up them. So I found a recommendation on the internet some time ago for Lizard Head pass which means first heading for Saguache Colorado. I cannot find that post anymore but I seem to recall that it said that this route was less steep. The map says it is 10,000 as opposed to Monarch's 11,000
    Can anyone recommend any route that may be better than another for me? Is Lizard pass narrow and steep or less steep but narrow? Any info would help.
    I do not mind taking on a few extra hours to avoid Monarch pass.
    Also, I had considered going to New Mexico first--prior to Telluride. If we first went to Taos, is there an easy way up to Telluride as another option?
    Thank you for any advice!

Default I 70.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

If Monarch was a problem for you I think that the best route for you would be to stay on I 70 to Grand junction and head South on US 50/550 to Ridgway and then CO62/145 to Telluride.

3. Default tunnel?

Yes, I have that plan too but as well as worrying about high mountain roads I am not that excited about the tunnel either!
    But I think I prefer the tunnel to the Monarch. I do note that most people get excited when they hear about the longest road tunnel or the highest road. Not me!

Thank you--I will likely do that though.

Default Yikes !

It can't be easy !

The reason I suggested that way is because, when heading to Telluride, it is hard to get away from mountains, and there are quite a few passes coming from the South, either through Durango and Silverton or Dolores and Rico.

You certainly wouldn't enjoy the ride over Loveland pass to avoid the tunnel !

Good luck with the trip !

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    If Monarch was a problem for you I think that the best route for you would be to stay on I 70 to Grand junction and head South on US 50/550 to Ridgway and then CO62/145 to Telluride.
    I'd have to agree with this. This will minimize the "scariness".