Thread: June, WI to TX

1. Default June, WI to TX

As a part of a grand tour of the country in June, the other half and I will be going from southern Wisconsin to Austin, Texas, and are unsure about where to stop in between. We will be doing a combination of camping and motel stays for the trip, so we are open to either one. Does anyone have any suggestions for any notable places to stop for the night, or any sights to see along the way? We were thinking of Memphis as an option, since neither of us have been. Our route for this leg isn't set in stone, it just depends on what we can see.

Thank you, and happy travels!

Green County, Wisconsin

Default what's available

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

How much time do you have for this trip (and really, what else does your grand tour entail?), and what sorts of things do you find interesting.

At more than 1200 miles, you could possibly do this in two very long days - but you really would not have any time to do anything other than drive. If Madison is your starting point, Memphis actually would be right about the halfway point, if you went that route - although it would be a bit shorter to drive to Des Moines, and then take I-35 south through Kansas City and Oklahoma City. If you went that route, Emporia Kansas would be about the halfway point.

Of course, if you've got more time, then you have a whole lot more options, like following the Great River Road south, or taking one of the more direct routes but actually having a chance to explore some of the cities you'd pass through along the way.

Being a native Texan, let me recommend a few places to see around Austin.... You should go (inner) tubing in New Braunfels, about 40ish miles south of Austin on the way to San Antonio. I recommend climbing Enchanted Rock, which is about an hour or 1 1/2 hours west. You could make a stop in Johnson City, the boyhood home of Lyndon Johnson. I have not been on the tour of his home in years, but it was really nice the last time that I went. Back to Enchanted Rock ... Pictures do not do it justice. You can climb it in about 30 - 45 minutes. The view from the top is breathtaking. However, it will be HOT, so bring lots of water. Austin is a lovely city, and there is a ton to do there. San Antonio is a short jog south.