1. Default 3 weeks,new york to san francisco

hey,there are 5 of us going on this road trip in early september 10 .our general route is New York ,Washington DC, Jacksonville FL,New Orleans,HoustonTX,Phoenix AR,grand cannon,Vegas,San Francisco,pacific coast highway and LA. We were hoping to hear if anyone had some good suggestions for things to do places to see along this general route,also does anyone know if there are any festivals or the like of any kind going on around this time 7 Sept-28 Sept. Good pubs and clubs would also be appreciated . cheers, 5 Irish lads

Will you be driving back to New York City from LA or will you be flying back? By saying you are Irish lads I'm assuming you are from Ireland first and foremost. What are your plans on a car for you route?

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by jimzdj36 View Post
    Will you be driving back to New York City from LA or will you be flying back? By saying you are Irish lads I'm assuming you are from Ireland first and foremost. What are your plans on a car for you route?
    Hi Jim,we will be flying back to Dublin from either LA or San Francisco, so its 3 weeks on the route.We havnt looked into transport to much yet.We were hoping to get some sort of 7 seater people carrier.

Default Using RTA.

Hello and welcome to RTA !

With a trip total of around 4500 miles to cover in 3 weeks it is easily doable, but you won't have lots of time to hang around in any one place too long. With only a small number of regular contributors to the site you might not have much luck with pub, club and festival responses, but you never know !

Your trip is laid out fine so I would continue to research and find places of interest to you between the dots you already have on the map. You will find loads of info and ideas throughout the RTA site, take a look at the road trip planning pages, and use the search function for the forum to help you along.

Between Vegas and SF I would certainly recommend travelling across Death valley and up to Mono lake and spending a little time in Yosemite NP, a true wonder.

As for transport, it is something you should start looking into as a one way drop off across the country could be subject to a hefty one way surcharge. If any drivers are under the age of 25 that will also cost an extra premium and if any are under 21 that wish to drive they most likely won't be able too.

As you start to research you will find there are thousands of options and as you have new questions just ask.

Enjoy the planning !

5. Default

Hi Dave,thanks for the tips, all the drivers are over 25. What is the norm for people travelling coast to coast in regard to transport do you know? Would we be better off hiring cars state to state?
    cheers...
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 05-18-2010 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Removed Quote of Entire Previous Post

Default longer is better

With nearly any one way rental, you're going to pay a one way drop off fee - and it will typically be more the farther you go from your starting point.

However, its still much better to rent one car for your entire trip, where you can take advantage of longer term rental rates, and don't get stuck paying for multiple drop off fees.

Default At the End of the Day

Céad Míle Fáilte!

Well, of course I can't give you specific recommendations from among the thousands of bars, pubs, saloons. beer halls, and just plain dives you'll find everywhere on your journey. But I can say that some of the best and friendliest such places I've found are those that brew their own beer on site. So, in honor of one very memorable (at lest as much of it as I remember) night I spent at a little crossroads 'local' outside Corcaigh, I will direct you here.

AZBuck

8. Default

cheers michael,just had a look there at Hertz rental cars,they say they have no long haul drop off fees so might look into that.

9. Default

Fair play Buck,that site may come in very usefull along the way,hope they looked after you down there,slan...

Quote Originally Posted by gordo View Post
    cheers michael,just had a look there at Hertz rental cars,they say they have no long haul drop off fees so might look into that.
    Yes and no.

They no longer include the drop off fee as a seperate line. However, they roll that fee into the daily rate between two cities.

It just means that you have to look at the total charge when comparing rates, not just the line-item drop fee.