Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tweave Guest

Default Spring Grove, PA to Los Angeles, CA

I'm a sophomore at Spring Grove Highschool and I'm craving a road trip. Five other girls from school and myself are planning a senior summer road trip. Don't worry, we've already started to save up money. But this will be our first and I'm definately going to be the one driving with my '03 Land Rover Discovery, even though the gas isn't the greatest. I'd like some tips on how or where to sleep. I wanted to camp out in places with tents and stuff but my mother beleives that to be a bit dangerous depending on the area. I'm also a juornalism student and our final project is to create a magazine on a topic of choice, mine is road trips. I plotted ten destinations for my coast to coast feature article and here they are: Niagara Falls, NY--Cedar Point, OH--Midlothian, IL--Bonne Terre, MO--Ouachita National Forest, OK--Canyon, TX--Sante Fe, NM--Grand Canyon NAtional Park, AZ--Death Valley, CA. But I need one more! I was wondering If anyoine could think of a good spot to go for camping out and exploring, any scenic areas?

For planning purposes, it really would be best if you are all at least 18 before taking a trip of this magnitude. Can you work with that?

Default Those Pesky Details

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Well, the biggest gap you have between your present stops is between Arkansas and New Mexico, and I would think that a fitting stop might be at the Oklahoma City Memorial, roughly halfway between. However.....

You have several bigger problems. I'm going to assume that since you say you are High School students, that none of you is 18. So - most motels will not rent you a room, no matter what credit cards you have. And in the event of an emergency, none of you can authorize medical treatment even for yourselves. So camping is really your only workable option, and even then you may run into problems at some campgrounds, and each of you will need to carry written (and preferably notarized) permission from your respective parents or guardians for treatment in the event of illness or injury. Also, if you plan to cross over to the other, more scenic side of Niagara Falls each of you will also need a passport.

And... How long do you have for the drive west and how do you propose to get home?

AZBuck

Tweave Guest

By the time the road trip begins, I'll be the only 18 year old traveling. But I've calculated about five days of driving there and back. I added some extra time assuming I'll need to stop on multiple occasions.

Tweave Guest

I understnad, I would be the only one 18 traveling but this is something that has been a sort of dream so I'm most likely oging on it no matter what as long as I can save up the money.

But I've calculated about five days of driving there and back.
    That's ALL you are going to have time to do. 2640 miles each way via fastest route, that will be 10 to 12 hours a day just to drive it with NO sightseeing. 6 people cooped up in a car for that many hours each day for 5 days straight (and then doing it AGAIN on the return trip) is going to be torture. I'd recommend you sit back and think priorities and cut WAY back on the scope of this trip or add considerably more days.

Default Sorry, NO

If you've "calculated five days there and [five days] back", then your calculations are extremely off. A one way drive hitting all your stops is 8 days minimum, with only enough time to step out of the car, look around, take one quick picture to 'prove you've been there' and then get back in the car. A return trip via the most direct Interstate route with NO stops whatsoever would take 5 days minimum. This trip is NOT doable in ten days. It will in no way be fun if you try to do it in 13. You are looking at two weeks, absolute minimum, to do it safely, and even then, I can pretty much guarantee that the six of you will be at each other's throats long before that.

AZBuck

Default dreams are good

Its a great thing that you've got a big goal. Dreaming big is always fun.

The downside is when you dream really big, those dreams often don't reflect the major roadblocks that can keep your dream from actually coming together.

GLC and Buck have mentioned some of the problems you'll face. You being the only 18 year old could be a major problem for two reasons - first many motels are not going to rent to an 18 year old who is with an group of underage friends. Second, with 6 people, you will have to rent at least 2 rooms most places, which means even if a motel will rent a room to you - they aren't going to rent a second room to your friends. Camping is an option, and can be perfectly safe if you are staying at campgrounds (its usually illegal if you aren't), but I'm going to guess that with 6 of you packed into a car day after day, you're going to want to stay in a real bed every once in a while. The other potential problem with camping is that fitting 6 people in any car can be a bit uncomfortable, fitting 6 people plus their luggage starts to get problematic, and fitting 6 people, plus luggage, plus camping gear might not be possible at all.

Another issue is the size of your group. Planning a trip with 6 people is difficult anytime, but because of where you guys are at in your lives, having 6 people making a plan that will actually come together 2 years from now is next to impossible. The reality is that in 2 years all of you are going to be in very different places in your lives and the odds that all of you will be able to get away for 3 weeks (and really, echoing the previous comments, 2 weeks is the bare minimum and to have any fun at all, you'll need 3), that you'll all be able to have the money, and that all 6 of you would be on the same page in terms of where you want to go, how you like to travel, that everyone's parents will allow it, etc is very unlikely.

With all the bad news, I'd still keep dreaming but keep those things in mind. When building your budget, I'd plan for several people dropping out, so you've still got the money if/when the costs will be divided among a smaller group. I would also highly recommend that you take a long weekend on the road together. This by no means will give you the same experience with the real challenges that come with being on the road for the amount of time you'll be on the road, but it will give you a feel for what its like to travel together, what you do and don't like, what you'll need and don't need, and should get your feet wet before diving into the huge responsibilities that come with a cross country trip.

Tweave Guest

That's very true. Thanks for all the advice, I'm thinking about trying out a weekend trip with everyone to see what that's like, even though it isn't at all the same as a cross country road trip.

Tweave Guest

This was very helpful. I might be using this information for my journalism article too, so thank you very much. And the weekend trip idea is one i think I'm going to go for, so thank you.