Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Default When life gives you lemons...

...make lemonade!

G'day all from down under. I already love this site, so much to learn.

I find myself in a position in my mid thirties to travel and do and see what I want, and a road trip across the US is top of the list.

My plan is to travel across from L.A. to N.Y. more that likely through Texas (gotta see Texas) and the southern route during your summer months. Are there any better months to travel during?

MY plan is to do it in about 10 days. I know that's a rush, but it's mainly the drive that I want to do, not the sight seeing. I may be by myself or with a friend.

I want to finish in NY and go to a baseball game at Yankee Stadium and eat hotdogs and drink beer till I burst, so the trip has to coincide with the baseball season. What are cheap tickets worth to a game?

A muscle car would be great to use, but are there any companies that allow this? I.E. pick up at L.A. drop off at N.Y.? Failing that a Hertz rental will suffice.

Does anyone have a suggested route? I will peruse the site, but thought it might be nice to get some fresh ideas if anyone has any.

Cheers!

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

If you want to travel during the baseball season, and you want to avoid the summer heat, you might look at going either in May or September - basically outside of the peak, and hottest, travel months of June, July, August.

Looking at mlb.com, it looks like $20-30 will be the cheapest ticket for a game at Yankee Stadium, assuming those sections are available. You might also look at re-selling options like stubhub or ebay where you might find a deal.

For the rental car, a classic car will not be an option, as they just don't work for one way rentals. Hertz, and perhaps some of the others, has some specialty lines of sports cars that might be available for such a rental, just know that a specialty car will carry an extreme premium for price that could easily cost 3-4 times more than a standard sedan.

As far as routes, we just don't have enough information to give you much advice. Other than the quarter-million square mile target that is Texas, you haven't told us a thing about where you might want to stop. With 10 days you'll be ok - you need at least 5 days for the driving - and have time to make a few stops along the way. You just to start looking around and get an idea of what you'd like to see.

3. Default

thanks for the reply mate.

I really don't have a clue what I want to see in Texas. Just want to say I've been there I guess. Silly, I know, maybe closer to the date I'll know.

Thanks for the heads up for the months. May sounds good, as I'll be going around Australia on another ridiculous road trip in October. I thought the one way travel might be an issue with the muscle cars, oh well. Might hire one for the day in NY and see what trouble I can get into. $20-$30 for a ticket is excellent, leave plenty of moolah for hotdogs. (Am I expecting to much from these hotdogs?, planning a trip around them and all. LOL)

Can someone give me some typically touristy things that Texas might offer. I'm a professional photographer, so landscapes are high on my list.

Also, I think the US has a lot to offer on the road side diner idea, so any advice on those would be great.

Really appreciate any and all advice.

I would advise you to turn in the car when you get to NYC and use public transportation while you are there. NY is not a car-friendly city.

I looked up some reviews of the new Yankee Stadium. Apparently the hot dogs from the vendors in the stands are awful. From what I've read, if I were to go to a baseball game in NY I'd go to a Mets game - it's a lot friendlier experience and the food is better. However, I do understand the mystique around the Yankees. Either way, if you want to eat hot dogs and drink beer till you burst it's going to cost you dearly, ballpark prices on food and beverages these days are quite inflated.

Default Clues

First off there is no single 'southern route' across the United States. There are literally hundreds if not thousands of possible permutations. But judging from your objectives, here is one very generalized route that should work. Take I-10 all the way from Los Angeles to New Orleans, I-59 to Chattanooga, I-75 to Knoxville, I-81 to Harrisburg, and I-78 to New York. Get a good map of the U.S. and mark that out. Now that's just the 'backbone'. A trip across country that sticks strictly to the Interstates is not going to provide the photo and diner opportunities you want. So the next step is to start looking for the older 'US' highways that run parallel to or through the same general territory as the roads listed. These will be a bit slower, but will afford you the chance to see the towns and feel the topography and stop at random that the newer, bigger roads simply don't. Some possibilities for 'detours':

The Grand Canyon, well worth the time! Take I-15 to I-40, at Kingman you can take a detour off the detour by following old Route 66 (now marked as AZ-66) through Peach Springs to Seligman, visit the Canyon and then return to I-10 by taking AZ-89A south from Flagstaff through Oak Creek Canyon to Sedona and AZ-179 to I-19 to Phoenix and I-10.

Across southwest Texas, US-90 offers an excellent alternative to I-10. Even though it's not motorway quality, it traverses wide open country and speed limits will be relatively high, plus you'll be driving through some serious Old West countryside and towns. In San Antonio, visit the iconic Texas site, the Alamo, and rejoin I-10.

Between Louisiana and Tennessee, there is a great 'old' road in the Natchez Trace Parkway that roughly parallels I-59. It's old in the sense that it follows the historic route that Mississippi boatmen used to return to the upper Mississippi and Ohio Rivers after floating their goods downstream in the days before steam, but it's a modern two lane parkway. Unfortunately(?), it bypasses all towns and has no services on it, but it's a great scenic drive with plenty of exits through the heart of the old South.

Running parallel to I-81 in Virginia is a similar National Parks parkway, the Blue Ridge Parkway which roughly connects two great scenic National Parks: Great Smoky Mountain and Shenandoah.

The trip as outlined above would take about 7 days to drive. Add to that time for seeing the sights and photography and just resting, but a couple of weeks in May would be a great time to do this trip.

AZBuck

I don't want to interfere, but I would prefer I-40 to I-10, at least for the first half from California to Oklahoma. There is so much more to see along the route: Old route 66, Grand Canyon, Sunset Crater, Meteor Crater, Petrified Forest, etc.

In Texas, near Amarillo is Palo Duro Canyon, the Cadillac Ranch, and the Big Texan Steakhouse in Amarillo is a hoot!

I lived in El Paso for several years and I always dreaded the drive across west Texas to Dallas. It is desolate most of the way. I usually drove up to Santa Rosa, New Mexico and picked up I-40 from there. Much better scenery and road.

Check it out before you commit to the southern route. I think you'll see the difference even on the map.

The Great Midwest, Illinois to be precise

Quote Originally Posted by Road Hawk View Post
    I don't want to interfere, but I would prefer I-40 to I-10, at least for the first half from California to Oklahoma. There is so much more to see along the route: Old route 66, Grand Canyon, Sunset Crater, Meteor Crater, Petrified Forest, etc.

In Texas, near Amarillo is Palo Duro Canyon, the Cadillac Ranch, and the Big Texan Steakhouse in Amarillo is a hoot!

And even better, I-40 runs right along the old Route 66. Get a slice of Americana while you're at it.

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    I would advise you to turn in the car when you get to NYC and use public transportation while you are there. NY is not a car-friendly city.

I looked up some reviews of the new Yankee Stadium. Apparently the hot dogs from the vendors in the stands are awful. From what I've read, if I were to go to a baseball game in NY I'd go to a Mets game - it's a lot friendlier experience and the food is better. However, I do understand the mystique around the Yankees. Either way, if you want to eat hot dogs and drink beer till you burst it's going to cost you dearly, ballpark prices on food and beverages these days are quite inflated.
    As a New Yorker, I definitely agree to turn in your car in NYC and rely on subways.

I haven't been to the new Yankee Stadium, but I have been to the new Mets stadium, Citi Field. I found it to be pretty blah overall (the food there was good though). I don't think either Yankee Stadium or Citi Field are among the top class of ball parks nowadays, but as glc mentions the Yankees have a certain mystique about them. If the original poster has enough money, I would recommend going to both ball parks. One word of warning is that the tickets for rivarly games (for example when the Yankees play the Boston Red Sox) may be a lot more expensive than other tickets. For the real authentic Yankee experience, you should get a seat in the outfield "bleachers". Those seats should be among the cheapest anyway. The fans at both stadiums might use some colorful language towards the opposing team's players but as long as you aren't rooting for the opposing team you will have a great time. If you are a big hot dog fan, I would recommend going to Coney Island in Brooklyn and going to the original Nathan's hot dog place and maybe take a ride on the Cyclone roller coaster.

9. Default

Folks, thanks very much for all these replies, so excellent! Time to buy a big map of the US, and start plotting a route. The excitement has kicked in, largely due to the detail you have all provided. Yankee Stadium, Route 66 (Go lightning mcqueen!) and the steak house in Amirillo, HERE I COME!!!!!!!!!

10. Default Entering Mexico from El Paso

I'm hoping to travel across the US in May next year, start point L.A., sweeping down through the south, gulf of mexico, then up through N & S Carolina and onwards to D.C., then to Quebec, then back to N.Y.

I am doing it with a mate, and we enjoy doing things just for the sake of doing it. One thing we want to do is from El Paso, head into Mexico for the afternoon, find a cantina ( i believe they are called ;) ) and have a beer before heading back. No more than a couple of hours, sowe can say we drank beer in mexico.

Does anyone what to offer an opinion as to whether this is a good idea? Would two foreigners entering and leaving Mexico in the space of a couple of hours be likely to be turned inside out by customs? The beer drinking & eating is important, so I want it to happen, but not if I'm going to e grilled by immigration over it.

Oh, we're doing the same in Quebec also. Any info on that idea would be good also.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 06-01-2010 at 05:50 AM. Reason: Merged - Please do not create multiple threads about the same trip