1. Default Seattle to Waterloo, Ontario - w/2kids & 2 dogs

We have done a lot of road trips over the years but I think this will be the biggest one by far. We are relocating to Waterloo, Ontario from Seattle, WA and have decided to make an epic family adventure across to our new home. I have found a lot of great postings on this forum going East to West (which I can just reverse for our purposes) but thougth I would post a new thread to get some additional pointers from all you experts out there.

We are planning to keep car time to 5-7 hrs/day (traveling with kids 7 and 2). We want this to be somewhat fun and realize that there is nothing fun about 5-7 hrs/day in the car for kids at that age. So, we hope to make our stopping points fun. We plan to go I-90 E then detour into Yellowstone and out through Cody, WY and onto Rapid City. Any suggestions for things that might interest kids along our trip? Or any tips, ideas, etc? -thanks.

Joplin MO

A suggestion - instead of going through Cody, take the Beartooth Highway out of Yellowstone.

Tucson, AZ

Default Got Time?

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

6 hours a day translates to nearly 8 full days on the road for this 2750 mile journey. The real relevance of that is that you can spend however many 'extra' days you have at the major attractions along the way such as Yellowstone as well as the off day where you just sit by the pool side at a motel. More importantly, though, such a schedule lets you spend a couple of hours two or three times a day at various smaller stops. I agree with glc that the Beartooth Highway (US-212) is a great scenic way to leave Yellowstone if your driver of the day is up to a number of switchbacks and has the patience this road requires. It has the added benefit that after you get back on I-90 near Billings. that road will take you by the Little Bighorn Battlefield in Garryowen, MT, Devils Tower in northeastern Wyoming and Badlands National Park in western South Dakota, kid pleasers all. Other stops specifically for the kids might be Baraboo, WI for the Circus World Museum and/or nearby Wisconsin Dells, WI which is home to a number of water slides, and Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore on the southern end of Lake Michigan

4. Default

Thank you for all your recommendations. I will do some researching on them to find out more. A day at the waterslides sounds fantastic too. We are lucky to have the ability to take our time on the trip. Thanks again for your time and input.