1. Default Driving 101 ideas?

Greetings -

So I'm about to drive with my mom down highway 101 from Seattle-ish to LA (or thereabouts) in about a week and a half. I think I've got a pretty good handle on it, but I thought I'd ask about for ideas.

First up is Highway 101 vs Highway 1 down in Cali. The current plan is down to LA on 101 and then back up to San Fran on 1 (then we'll jump over to I-5 and go home that way). Is 101 in Cali worth it, or should I just stick to 1 all the way down?

Motels - I have no idea what time schedule we're looking at, so I don't have motels lined up along the way. How hard is it to just drive along until we find a vacancy and stop. Do motels do drop ins like that?

Any other help you guys might offer up?

I would recommend you take 1 on the way down and the fast way on the way back. Reason being is the scenic pullouts will be on your side of the road. Between LA and SF on the way back, you can take either 101 or 5, the time difference isn't much, an hour or two at the most. 101 is freeway quality most of the way. You should have no problem finding rooms without reservations. I would recommend you at least have an idea of what's where though, you can research hotels at hotels.com, they list almost all properties except some small mom and pops and Motel 6.

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    ... You should have no problem finding rooms without reservations.
    I would generally agree, although this is happening in 'a week and a half', which I think includes Memorial Day weekend. Some areas might be dicey that weekend.

Agreed - holiday weekends are the exception.

5. Default

Good point about the View Overlooks - I'll suggest that to my mom and see about flipping the two routes.

And yeah, the Memorial Day weekend happens while we're in LA - although we'll be staying with my Uncle during that weekend (if all goes well), so hopefully we'll avoid that hassle.