Default From Spokane, WA to Salt Lake City, UT via Yellowstone

Hey there,

Just as the title reads we're going to be road trippin' from Spokane to SLC, and spend a day or two in Yellowstone, Grand Teton and Jackson, WY. Major interests include;

fly fishing (smaller streams preferred)
    scenic drives
    wildlife photo op's
    short hikes, ~2 miles or so

We'll be there from June 12-20, so we'll have 7 solid days of touring. Any ideas? Would also appreciate inexpensive lodging recommendations along the way.

Bob & Hope

Tucson, AZ

Default Not Quite Sure What's Up

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

As I read your post, this is a one-way drive to Salt Lake City, that in total will take 7 or 8 days, with a few days each spent in Yellowstone, the Grand Tetons, and Jackson. As such, it's a perfectly workable trip, but if what I've outlined is not what you have in mind, please speak up. In order to make the best use of your time, I'd suggest staying as few places as possible. You can, for example, get to West Yellowstone, WY in a solid day's drive from Spokane, and it both has (relatively) inexpensive lodging and provides decent access to both Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons. There are several scenic drives in Idaho on the way to Yellowstone and between Yellowstone and Salt Lake City. One of my favorite routes between Yellowstone and Salt Lake City is US-89. Since most of the time you have available for fishing will be in Wyoming, I'd suggest getting just their fishing license and checking with them as to which streams are open (and recently stocked).

Thanks AZBuck. You sold me on Rt 89 to SLC, sounds good. We'd like to spend a couple of nights in Northern Idaho or Montana before we get to Yellowstone, preferably in some place off the beaten track. Does anyone know of a place perhaps an hour or so off Rt 90 or Rt 15 in ID or MT that you could recommend? Maybe a hunters lodge or something backwoodsey?