1. Default FL to San Jose Towing PopUp

We're looking for some advice. We're headed out on Memorial Day weekend from Tampa to San Jose, CA. We'll be towing a pop-up, so are looking to stay on highways as much as possible (drive won't be fun, but the 2 grandkids waiting at the end will be!) Mapquest is taking us thru DFW. That doesn't sound like fun. Would heading north at Shreveport and going thru McKinney and Denton be a good route?

Then, when we near CA, stay on 40 but head thru Barstow instead of down by LA? We don't like a lot of traffic, so the CA scene is a little nerve-wracking for us. Any advice would be appreciated!

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

First of all, I'm sorry that you've already decided that your trip won't be fun. I'm also very concerned about what sort of timeline you are thinking about for this trip. You say you're talking about doing this on Memorial Day weekend, but this is far more than a long weekend trip.

As far as your routing, in California, there is absolutely no reason to go to LA if you are coming in on I-40. Take CA-58 across to Bakersfield and onto I-5. For Dallas, I haven't spent a lot of time driving there but I haven't found it to be too bad in terms of cities. However, the route you've listed looks like a reasonable option to bypass the city, but I don't know about the quality of the road and/or how much stop and go traffic you might have to deal with on that route.

3. Default Clarification

We'll be in SJ for 3 weeks - just not thrilled to be starting our driving on a holiday weekend. The rest of our trip will take us up to Montana, then down thru Yellowstone and Denver by mid-August.

I wasn't worried about the time you're going to spend in SJ, I was worried about how much time you are planning to spend getting there.

If you've got all this time, why don't you plan to make your trip west an enjoyable and see some things along the way?

My mapping program says the fastest way is I-10 all the way to LA, then I-5. I don't think I'd do that either. Look at the following, this will keep you out of the biggest cities:

Off of I-10, take US-231 to Montgomery, I-65 to Birmingham, and US-78 to Memphis to pick up I-40.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    I wasn't worried about the time you're going to spend in SJ, I was worried about how much time you are planning to spend getting there.

If you've got all this time, why don't you plan to make your trip west an enjoyable and see some things along the way?
    Gotta work til May 28. Gotta be in SJ for a double bday party on June 5 (turning 1 and 4 - can't miss that!)

7. Default

I like it - and its only about 50 miles more. Thanks!!!