1. Default August road trip from OH to Walla Walla, Washington (one-way)

Dear all,

I was very excited to find this website when I was searching for tips on my summer road trip from OH to Washington. I have done enough research and have narrowed down into two possible routes. I am wondering what you guys think about them. I have been to Yellowstone National Park before, so even though I take the south route, I just pass by. My main target is the Glacier National Park.

Route 1:
    Columbus OH -> Minnesota
    Minnesota -> North Dakota
    North Dakota -> Glacier National Park
    Glacier National Park -> Walla Walla, WA (It seems that there is not much to see except for the Glacier National Park in this route)

Route 2:
    Columbus OH -> Kansas City
    Kansas City-> Denver, Colorado
    Denver -> Yellowstone National Park
    Yellowstone -> Glacier National Park
    Glacier National Park -> Walla Walla, WA.

Also this is my first road trip. I am wondering whether 8 days are enough for the above trip. I am planning to stay at Glacier National Park for 3 days.

Thanks a lot. Also I would like to exchange ideas with people who have similar travel ideas.

Tucson, AZ

Default Why Not a Central Route?

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Besides your northern route, which has the advantage of being relatively short at 1890 miles but the disadvantage of not passing a lot of well known tourist attractions, and your southern route, which goes by many historic cities and scenic but is a lot longer at 3245 mile, there is a third option. Actually, there are many more than that - there are always options and options to options - but let's just look at this one. Rather than use I-94 through North Dakota, take I-90 through South Dakota. Along this route are the Circus World Museum in Baraboo, WI; the Corn Palace in Mitchell, SD; Wall Drug in Wall, SD; Badlands National Park; Mount Rushmore National Monument; Devils Tower National Monument; the Little Bighorn Battlefield; and several other options depending on how you head up through Montana to Glacier National Park. And that central route is only a couple to a few hundred miles longer than your northern route, again depending on how you head up through Montana

3. Default

Thanks a lot. I will do some more research to see how I can take a central route. Really appreciate your information. I will post again when I decide on the central route.
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 05-08-2010 at 07:49 AM. Reason: Removed Quote of Entire Previous Post

4. Default Early August travel from OH to Walla Walla WA

Hi folks,

I am planning a road trip at the beginning of August. I have done some research and has kinda finalized the following route. I have eight days in total. Just wondering where else on the route is left out and whether there is better route. Thanks a lot.

Columbus OH - Mount Rushmore National Memorial: 2 days, mainly driving;

Mount Rushmore: half day;

Mount Rushmore - Glacier National Park: 2 days, driving

Glacier National Park: 3 days

Glacier national park - Walla Walla, 1 day, driving
    Last edited by AZBuck; 07-21-2010 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Merged with previous posts. Please do not start multiple threads for the same trip.

Joplin MO

Columbus to Rushmore is a really long 2 day drive. It's 1300 miles, and will be two 12 hour + days. I don't think you will have time for any diversions. I-70/I-74/I-80/I-29/I-90.

Rushmore to Glacier is also close to 2 full days - 1.5 days would be pushing it. I-90/US-93.

Glacier to Walla Walla isn't that bad in one day.