Default Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Grand Canyon and where??

Coming from Ireland to California in July for 14 nights and are having trouble putting together our itinerary. So far we have decided on:

San Francisco (3 nights) (arriving on a Thursday)
    Highway 1 (2/3 nights)
    Los Angeles (3 nights)
    Las Vegas (2 nights)
    Grand Canyon (1 night)

We cannot decide where to spend the other 2/3 nights so suggestions would be much appreciated! We were thinking about Yosemite (but kind of wanted to travel down most of Highway 1) or Sedona, Oak Creek as the Arizona landscape would definately be a novelty to us (but would it be unbearably hot?).

We have a 15 year old with us so are looking for an interesting couple of days with the minimum of travelling so would appreciate any help please.

Green County, Wisconsin

Default some options

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

First of all, Northern Arizona, around Sedona, is more of a mountain area with an elevation of about 4500 ft. so weather likely won't be a major issue. The temperatures in Vegas will almost certainly be significantly higher than that part of AZ. If by Arizona landscape, you were looking for desert, then you would either need to head to Southern Arizona, or you could spend some time in California's desert areas like Joshua Tree, Death Valley, or Mojave Preserve.

Some other options for your extra days would be to loop from the Grand Canyon up into Utah, seeing places like Monument Valley, Zion, or Bryce Canyon, and then looping back to Vegas. In fact, if you decided to do this, you'd probably be better off driving directly from LA to the Grand Canyon, since that will save you a couple hours of driving vs going LA-Vegas-GC.

You could also zig back north from LA, and go through Sequoia and/or Yosemite, and then swing through Death Valley on your way to Vegas.

Tucson, AZ

Default Some Suggestions for Minor Alterations

Céad Míle Fáilte! Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Actually, you seem quite well along on a good itinerary for seeing a number of sights not to be found in Eire, But let me suggest a few tweaks that I think will keep it continually fresh. After the drive down the coast to Los Angeles (and you're doing this in the right direction so that you will be driving on the ocean side of the road) Head east through Joshua Tree National Park from the town of Joshua Tree on CA-62 to the Cottonwood Visitor Center in the south and get back on I-10. Just east of Quartzite take US-60 east to Aguilla and AZ-71 to Congress getting on US-89 north. This will take you up through Prescott and then AZ-89A will continue up through Jerome and Cottonwood to Sedona, then up through Oak Creek Canyon to Flagstaff. From 'Flag' go north on US-89 to Cameron before taking AZ-64 through Grand Canyon National Park. this again puts the canyon itself on 'your' side of the road, making pulling into the laybys that much easier. AZ-64 leaves the park to the south and hooks up with I-40 at the town of Williams. Take I-40 west to Kingman (or alternatively, take one of the longest remaining stretches of old route 66 from Seligman through Peach Springs) and then US-93 north across Hoover Dam to Las Vegas. You would then presumably return yourselves and the car to San Francisco for your flight home by taking I-15 south to CA-58 west at Barstow and I-5 north.

Default An Alternative

If you would like to see the Grand Canyon with some extra touring time afterwards, try this trip. It starts in Las Vegas, but could easily start in Phoenix or at the Grand Canyon, making it a shorter trip, but equally scenic.

I've been over the Arizona trip above, too, so either one is a good choice.