I am new to the forum, from the UK, Liverpool.
We have done several roadtrips in the US since 2005 but never anything as adventurous as this one for Oct/Nov this year. I am hoping if anyone can advise on weather/general driving conditions through Colorado?
Our itinery as follows -
- starting in Denver - Estes Park around 25 Oct - 3days
- Driving down to central city, looking at st marys glacier, staying in Leadville for 1 night.
- Visiting Twin Lakes, aspen and Maroon bells on way to Gunnsion - staying 1 night
- Visiting Crested Butte, Black Canyon, staying at Ouray for 2 nights which makes it now 1st November.
- Was planning to drive over to Telluride and back for the day at ouray.
- Then leaving down via Silverton.
- Planning to stay at Cortez (or somewhere!) for 2 nights to allow a day back in to Mesa Verde.
- Then driving over to Monument valley (which is where i hit familar territory) for 2 nights.
- Over to Page for a night to explore the area
- 2 nights in Zion, ending in Vegas
Due to time of year -
- i am likely to struggle with roads/snow?
- will i be too late for fall colours?
- have i missed anything glaring that i should i see on the way?
- Does anyone now about where to park at St marys Glacier Arapaho Nat For. (i had read some comments from a resident about how it is illegal to park around the local roads by the paths to the glacier)
- Is the #6 highway through keystone worth the detour rather than the interstate?
- Is the oh my god road paved? And wise to do at time of year in a hire car!
And my last question.. can someone explain the snow tyres and chains in colorado? I have read sites saying it is the law to carry them, but the car hire companies have said i shouldn't use them.
I really appreciate any help. :-)