1. Default LA to Grand Canyon with 1 overnight stop?

Hi Guys,

My wife and I hae 18 days fron LA to LA in September, and after spending the first 2 night in LA, we have Bright Angel Lodge booked at the Grand Canyon with only 1 night in between for stopping on the road.

I was hoping to go through Joshua Tree National Park, and maybe some of old route 66, but I want to be able to take some of it in. Is this a reasonable drive over 2 days? I'm also toying with going to the OC beaches before we leave LA, so this might eat some time out of the first day too.

Any suggestions or advice?

Tucson, AZ

Default Two Days Should Be Fine

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Actually, if traffic didn't impede your exit from Los Angeles, and you made no stops along the way, you could conceivably drive from L.A. to the Grand Canyon in a single day. With two, you do have time for some wandering. If you enter Joshua Tree National Park from the north via the town of Joshua Tree and drive from the West Entrance to the Cottonwood Visitor Center in the South, you'll get a good tour of the park and end up on I-10 headed east. A drive up AZ-95 through Lake Havasu City will let you visit the London Bridge, and if time permits there is a long segment of old Route 66 still in existence from Kingman to Seligman, AZ through the town of Peach Springs.

As far as OC beaches go, my favorite was the Balboa peninsula in Newport Beach with its beach, Fun Zone and ferry ride over to Balboa Island and back.