1. Default Road trip to new life!

My fiance and I are getting married in Northern Virginia in August. I am starting a new job in Chicago 5 days later. We want to drive from Virginia to Chicago. We are planning on renting a car of some sort and driving it with stops at interesting places along the way. I predict the driving time to be around 13/14 hours, but if we can spread it out it should be quite enjoyable! Does anyone know of any great places to visit on route? Any great places to stay? or eat? Your help would be wonderful!

Tucson, AZ

Default The Meandering Route

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

You should probably leave yourself a day to get settled in Chicago before starting your new job, but with four days to get from the DC area to Chicago you can have a quite enjoyable drive and short honeymoon. I'd start by heading southwest on I-81 and use portions of the Blue Ridge Parkway for the scenery. Head west on US-60 through the New River Gorge in West Virginia to Charleston and then take I-64 to Ashland where US-52 will take you down the Ohio River Valley to Cincinnati. From there I-74/I-65 will take you up to Chicago, but if time permits, try using some of the US highways that run roughly parallel, such as US-52 and US-421, to get a better feel for the countryside and small town life. Places worth visiting on that general route would include Shenandoah National Park, the towns of Charlottesville and/or Lexington in Virginia, the Botanical Gardens and/or Khron Conservatory in Cincinnati, and perhaps the Indianapolis Speedway. This route would take two days to drive, meaning that you can spend half of each day driving and the other half on foot enjoying the places that appeal to you. That should be a nice relaxed pace appropriate to the journey.

The Great Midwest, Illinois to be precise

With the 150th anniversary of the Civil War starting next year, you might want to stop at the Battle of Gettysburg in Pennsylvania. You could pick up the Lincoln Highway from there and take it to Chicago's southern suburbs. The Lincoln Highway was the country's first transcontinental road dating to the early 1900s/

You could also drive the National Road, the country's first federal road dating to the early 1800s. US-40 follows it.