1. Default New to America - and roadtrips !

Hi

I'm completely new to all of this - including formus !
    I'm planning a roadtrip with my husband and two children next summer.
    We'll have 26 days ( mainly in August ) to travel from New York to the West coast and back.
    I know I want to see Boston, Niagara Falls, San Diego , Vegas, Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, but i'm a bit concerned that we have no idea about what to see for the 2500 miles in between !
    I don't want to just constantly drive for days and days without substantial stops which capture the interests of the kids
    ( ages 14 and 11 when we travel). Could you help with any good tips to break up the journey please - anything from
    American must-sees to a good old theme park !

Many thanks!

Default Some Overviews

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

And welcome to America. There is certainly nowhere in this country where you can go 2,500 miles without finding something of interest to you and your children. The discussions on these forums are just full of suggestions for various regions, roads, and attractions. So just to get you started, let me point you to a few resources that will give you an idea of what's available. First: there are these lists of 26 (more or less) things to do in each state. Typically those lists include both the well known and often overlooked attractions. Second is this list of places to stop for some scenery, history, or just a chance to let the children run around a bit along most of the major cross country highways. Third, many of our most notable natural and historic sites are part of either the National Parks system, National Forest system, or National Wildlife Refuge system. And finally, the one item you should purchase as soon as possible, a good atlas of the United States which will have many more venues marked and show you the major roads tying it all together. Once you have the atlas, start marking the locations of the places YOU have to see, and it then becomes a simple matter of connecting the dots. And along those connections will be even more things to see and do. Once you have a better idea of what you're going to be doing, we can be of further assistance in filling in the blanks and helping with other details. But the next step is up to you and your family, and is often one of the most exciting parts of a trip - the planning and dreaming.

AZBuck

Quote Originally Posted by NPG View Post
    Could you help with any good tips to break up the journey please - anything from
    American must-sees to a good old theme park !
    There was a public television documentary called "Great Old Amusement Parks" that might interest you if you want older, more traditional parks - here is a list of the parks that were profiled.

4. Default Helpful list

Quote Originally Posted by scosm View Post
    There was a public television documentary called "Great Old Amusement Parks" that might interest you if you want older, more traditional parks - here is a list of the parks that were profiled.
    Thanks, Scosm
    Definately going to add Sandusky to the agenda. Also decided on Rapid City - for the sights and the waterparks !

Default Don't be too ambitious

Quote Originally Posted by NPG View Post
    Hi

I'm completely new to all of this - including formus !
    I'm planning a roadtrip with my husband and two children next summer.
    We'll have 26 days ( mainly in August ) to travel from New York to the West coast and back.

I don't want to just constantly drive for days and days without substantial stops which capture the interests of the kids
    ( ages 14 and 11 when we travel).
    Many thanks!
    I'm guessing you are from the UK. The USA is bigger than you can comprehend until you have been there and driven. You cant go to the west coast and back in 26 days without constantly driving for days and days. I would suggest you spend a few days on the east coast then fly to either Las Vegas, Los Angeles or San Francisco for the rest of the holiday our west before flying home. You will still not get to see everything you want but it is more practical.

Default 26 days coast to coast and back again

Seems to me like too much time behind the wheel in transit, esp with kids.

If you want to see more than one coast, I like the suggestion of doing a flight from one side of the country to the other.

I would also suggest an open-jaw trip (fly to one coast, fly home from the other).

I personally never book more than about 300 miles of transit driving with kids... if you limited yourself to that you'd spend every day behind the wheel.

With 26 days I'd think you could cover two, maybe three of the groupings below with careful planning and appropriate internal flights (each grouping will take about a week to do right; personal opinion):

NY-New England
    DC/MD/PA
    SF - Redwood Parks - Crater Lake - Seattle (more like 10 days)
    SF - Yosemite - Death Valley - LV
    Southwest (LV - Grand Canyon - Zion - Bryce - Las Vegas) (maybe Monument Valley if 10 days)
    Mountain Parks (Yellowstone - Tetons - Glacier OR Rocky Mountain) (Fly into SLC if Glacier, Denver if Rocky Mountain)

and other groupings if you tastes run to things like New Orleans, Florida...