1. Default Honeymoon trip in August please help!

We are going on our honeymoon from 4th-18th August and arrive in NY first. We have somewhere booked to stay for 3 nights, but should we stay a little longer in NY? I would love to go to Niagra falls and understand it is only 7 hours away-do we have to book anything around there or do you reckon we can just turn up and do whatever and find somewhere to crash?

I have bee looking at things to do in NY not too bothered about the empire states building, but think a trip on staten island ferry for few hours seeing statue of liberty would be good, central park walk and times square?

We are fun loving people who love to laugh so we are also looking to have a good time, we enjoy good food and nice bars - any rec.?

Between NY and Boston I have looked at (obv. Niagra falls is not between i know) cape cod-dont know anything about, eastern coast-somewhere suggested mystic seaport not sure what that entails? and pensylvania catskill mountains? I have no idea!! Never been to america. My partner did route 66 years ago.

We are hiring a car from day 2 if that helps?!!

Please advise i am stuck!

thanks saskia

Tucson, AZ

Default New York and Thereabouts

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

While I'm not a big fan of New York City, I did spend a fair amount of time there in my wastrel youth, and besides the places you've listed, also have a look at spending an afternoon and evening in Greenwich Village people watching, having a cafe meal, and attending an off-off-off Broadway play. Riverside Drive around Grant's Tomb is another place to walk and enjoy a sunny day. And of course there are the museums, art galleries, and the UN.

As for travel outside the city, have a look at these ideas between [New York and Niagara and these between Niagara and Boston. And yes, you should be able to find accommodations on the fly, especially on tourist areas like Niagara Falls that have been feeling the recession.

Joplin MO

You did not say what country you are from, but if you plan on going to Niagara Falls and seeing the Canadian side, make sure you have all immigration issues taken care of and you are permitted to take your car across the border by the rental company. It's been many years since I've been there, but as I remember there's a lot more to see and do on the Canadian side.

Here are my suggestions:

- Don't rent the car until you are leaving NYC. The car will be a liability rather than a help in NYC. 3 days is enough to get a taste of New York, but obviously not enough to really know it well. It is all up to you as to how you want to prioritize your vacation.

- A few other popular things you could do in NYC are to see Rockefeller Center, visit the WTC site ("ground zero") and walk across the Brooklyn Bridge (and if the line is not too long have a pizza at Grimaldi's at the base of the bridge on the Brooklyn side) before you catch the subway back.

- Between NYC and Boston, you could visit the Catskill mountains in New York state (the Poconos are in Pennsylvania, which is what I think you were referring to, but are a little more out of the way), the Hudson Valley of New York and the Berkshires in Western Massachusetts without taking too big of a detour. The general route would be: (starting in Manhattan, you would need to map this to get exact routes) the West Side Highway (9A) to the George Washington Bridge into New Jersey to the Palisades Parkway to 287 West to 87 North (the New York State Thruway) to 90 East. You could also skip the George Washington Bridge and take the Sprain Brook Parkway to the Taconic Parkway and eventually hooking up with US-9 through Westchester County, New York - a more scenic route, but possibly more confusing and definitely slower. With possible detours of scenic roads and visits to nice towns such as West Point (home of the U.S. Military Academy), Cold Spring, Beacon, New Paltz, Saugerties, and Pittsfield, MA. This is the inland alternative to the Cape Cod-Rhode Island-Connecticut route already mentioned. Either way, I'm sure you'll have a great time!