1. Default Summer Trip: Philadelphia, PA to California CA

First post at this forum!

I am in a group of 4 Singaporeans looking to travel across the States this summer (early July) for a duration of 2 1/2 weeks. Our year of exchange to the US is coming to an end, and we're looking to cap it all off by doing this great across America road trip. Still in the process of planning exactly where to visit (this forum is a great place to start), but more importantly, we are looking for cheap ways to get a car in PA, and dropping it off in CA. If there's anyone needing a car drop-off, I'll be more than happy to discuss!! So yeah, love to get replies on this! Thanks!

P.S. Read from some post previously on this forum about getting a $1.3k price from Hertz, but the last quote I received was double that.

Green County, Wisconsin

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

There really is no magic way to get a cheap car especially for a one way trip. I would tell you that hoping to find someone who just needs a car dropped off is probably not realistic - as such a plan would create a number of legal/liability issues that you'd really need to take care of. There are Auto-Driveaway services which do the sort of thing you are talking about, and they are a lower cost way to get a car - but you are at the mercy of where they need a car moved (which may or may not be California) and what they have available. You also will likely be required to complete the trip in less time than you are talking about.

I'm not sure about what price quote you are talking about but the reality is that a quote someone else found really doesn't mean that much because there are so many different factors in a rental car price that its quite likely that you're just talking apples to oranges.