Default Traditional family vacation

PLANNING TO DRIVE FROM NEW YORK TO ORLANDO FLORIDA THIS SEPTEMBER, ANYONE HAS ANY TIPS ON ROAD BEST OPTIONS, WE WILL BE TWO DRIVERS LEAVING NEW Y. ABOUT 3:00 AM AND WE WANT TO GET THERE AROUND 11:00pm.
    any important suggestion? anything will help! from the small point to anything major. i have been up to Pennsylvania before so i know the area around wash. DC as well but nothing among that.
    also any nice place to visit on the way back?
    thanks everyone!

Default Not even remotely (or safely) possible

If you drove flat-out, stopping only for fuel and food and allowing for the normal traffic slowdowns, it would require nearly 21 hours on the road to cover this 1090 mile journey. As such, you won't have time for sightseeing -- If you really intend to put your family through this kind of trauma, you need to add a few more hours of driving. Even doing this in two days will require two 10-hour traveling days. There are so many cool things to do on such a trip. Do you really have to spend those kind of hours to get there?

We could give you enough suggestions for six months of travel between NYC and Orlando.... So, I don't know where to begin.

if you elect to do such a Speed Run -- here are some must-read tips for you! If, on the other hand, you have some time to allow for a really cool family road trip -- here are some ideas for you.

Happy Planning!

Mark

Default which is it?

Do you want a traditional family vacation, or do you want a miserable slough of a drive that will make your family hate the idea of ever doing a roadtrip again and quite frankly endanger the lives of all of your family members by doing far more than you can safely do (yes, even with 2 drivers).

As Mark indicated, its actually not physically possible to do things on the timeline you've listed, but for a family trip, 2 full days is really the absolute minimum you should think about for this trip. Even if you did manage to complete the trip in one day without killing someone, you would be in no condition whatsoever to have any fun at all the following day anyway - as you'll be way too exhausted - so not only is a plan of making this trip in one day both unwise and unsafe, its also counterproductive.

thanks guys! we really want to get there as soon as we can, but let's do ti the right way, right? thanks again.

TALKING ABOUT WHAT WE want to do between New York and orlando, i have to say that we don't have a lot in mind. just want to be there before monday 10 am. but safety is the most important point.
    i knew that our time would be nothing ,... just driving like a kamikaze .
    what would be the best time to stop before orlando though..? any nice place to stay?:)

Default A Saner Approach

As others have correctly pointed out, if you want to arrive safely in Orlando and be in any shape to do anything on Monday morning, you will have to leave New York on Saturday, NOT Sunday, morning. But once you make that concession to the reality of your trip, then you open up the possibilities of both relaxing and enjoyable stops along the way and a good night's sleep. Halfway is approximately Fayetteville, NC which, being near Fort Bragg, offers many lodging choices

AZBuck

Default i will

Thanks for your help, we will sure change our plans

Default what do you guys think?

leaving New York about 4:00am first quick stop at Washington DC.(30 to 40 minutes) from there to Myrtle beach SC, where we will stay overnight then next morning Savannah for a quick stop(a hour) so Orlando where we staying from monday thru Friday (disney.. any sugges...)?
    Saturday morning(early) heading Miami Beach for three days.
    so back to Boston.
    was that a better plan?

Default better

I think that is a much more reasonable plan, however, I think your plan to "stop" in Washington, DC for 30-40 minutes is very optimistic if you want to actually see anything. Heck, I just stopped at Target to pick up 2 things while driving home, and that wound up taking me 30-40 minutes! By the time you've navigated into the city and parked your car, your 40 minutes would be up.

Considering you are already taking a detour to get to Myrtle Beach, I would probably just focus on spending whatever extra time you have that day to relax after your day on the road.

And just to make sure your factoring it in, Miami to Boston is 50% farther than NYC to Orlando. Its an extra 500 miles, which means you're really looking at a 3 day drive back north.