1. Default Planning Family Road Trip from California

We have two weeks in June to take a family trip. We are on the Central Coast of California. We have 3 kids - 3, 5, and 8.
    We really don't have a particular destination in mind. We just want to take the kids on a roadtrip to see as much of the country as we comfortably can over that 2 week period.
    Does anyone have any recommendations for a route for us to take, and some things for us to see? We've seen California, Oregon, Nevada, Arizona - so don't want to focus on those states as we want to see something new.
    We are even considering driving old Route 66 (or as much of it as we can in a 2 week period).
    Any recommendations or suggestions are welcomed and greatly appreciated.
    Thank you!

Default Well. The 'West'

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Your timeframe is such that pretty much everything west of the Mississippi is within comfortable reach and still allows several days at your destination, or a day or two each at multiple destinations along a loop trip. Some possibilities are the northern Rockies including parks such as: Glacier, Yellowstone, Mount Rushmore and the Badlands; The central Rockies and Great Plains: Rocky Mountain, Oregon Trail, Ozarks, St. Louis; and Texas and the Gulf: White Sands, Big Bend, the Alamo, and Padre Island. I'm afraid we can't do much more at this point than indicate such general possibilities. Next step would be to sit down with your family and see what appeals to them, pick a few major attractions that you definitely want to see, and then let us help you fill in some details.

AZBuck

3. Default

Thank you, I really appreciate you answering me despite my question being so vague. At this point, I am trying to figure out how far we can comfortably go in the amount of time that we have, because we do have to drive back from wherever we go.

In your experience, how far should I anticipate travelling each day?

Thank you!

Default There's Only an Upper Limit

If you were traveling alone and were well experienced in log distance RoadTripping, then you could probably do 600 miles on a good, though long, day and still be a safe driver. But several factors will lower that number in the real world. The fact that you're going to be driving for several days in a row means that each day should be less if you want to stay fresh. The fact that you're traveling with children means that each stop for gas food or just rest area usage will take longer plus you'll want to stop several times a day to just let the kids out of the car and run around a bit in a nearby park or playground. My own experience when traveling with my grandsons and from memories of my own family RoadTrips when I was their age was that a 400 mile day can be quite pleasant and leave time for a couple of good, long (even educational) stops, while 500 miles will really start to put a crimp in everybody's patience. You should also not plan on doing more than two days in a row where you're trying to do serious driving. I tried to factor all that in to my recommendation that you not try to get too far east of the Mississippi, even though you conceivably could.

AZBuck

5. Default

Thank you very much - that was very helpful :)
    One last question: When you figured not going east of the Mississippi, was that based on a one way trip, or were you figuring in that we would have to drive back home? I know some people drive one way and fly back, but we wll be driving both ways.
    Thank you again - very much!

I'm sure that was based on a round trip. If you had two weeks for a one way trip, really anywhere in the US would be open to you - it takes roughly a week to drive across country, so 2 weeks would give you time for the drive plus a fair amount of stopping and sightseeing.

For you driving to the Mississippi and back would take roughly the same amount of time (actually a touch more since the midpoint of the country is actually a couple hundred miles west of the Mississippi) than driving one way across country. But once again, this is a discussion about the maximum that would makes sense, there's no reason you couldn't focus on areas significantly closer to home.

Default Balancing act.

We just want to take the kids on a roadtrip to see as much of the country as we comfortably can over that 2 week period.
    But once again, this is a discussion about the maximum that would makes sense, there's no reason you couldn't focus on areas significantly closer to home.
    I think you need to get the balance right between your first post and Michael's statement above so that everyone has fun, as the kids are of the age where they will be more interested in running around and having fun, rather than what part of the Country they are doing it from, and I doubt they will enjoy being in a car for hours on end.

Out of the many options open to you and based upon where you have been I would suggest considering exploring some of the scenic wonders of Utah and Colorado and create a loop trip.