Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Born2Travl Guest

Default Syracuse NY to ?

Hi, all. I'm very new to this thread. But hoping to get some good advice.

We are planning to drive from Syr to Bloomington. I believe it is about 18 hours. We probably will stop 2-3 times. Perhaps in OH and then in IL. Do these stops seem to make sense? I will probably be the only driver. With my kids. So this is why I know I will need to stop about every 6-7 hours to get some rest. Most likely at a motel or something decent. I don't know. This plan is barely in the works. So just looking for ideas.

Default That Should Do It

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

As I read your question, You are really looking at taking three days for the trip with two overnight stops. That would be an excellent pacing for a RoadTrip with children and leave plenty of time each day to make R&R stops as well as, perhaps, a somewhat longer stop each day. Relatively even stops each night would be in roughly Sandusky, OH and Rockford, IL. In both cases, that puts you on the far (west) side of the tow biggest cities on your route, Cleveland and Chicago, so that you won't have to fight the morning commuter traffic the next day. But you will have to be judicious about when to try to navigate these two metropolitan areas the previous afternoon/evening. I'd say if you're approaching them early enough, before 3:00 or so, just drive through and get to your evening's stop. If you're approaching between 4:00 and 6:00 then pull up for dinner and a playground break and let the evening rush hour traffic sort itself out before you cross town.

AZBuck

Default 2 full days

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

On a trip like this, it really does not do any good to simply measure the trip in hours because it is far too long to travel in one day. At roughly 1100 miles, your total travel time will likely be about 20 hours, but there is no way for one person (or even 2 drivers) to safely cover that distance in one day. However, it is a distance you could cover over the course of 2 days.

This is 2 full days on the road, with your halfway point roughly at Elkhart Indiana (or Kalamazoo, MI if you choose to travel through Ontario). You will still want to make several short stops throughout each day just so you can take a break from driving and your kids can get out of the car to burn off energy, but this is about the point where you should plan to stop for the day and get a full night sleep to recharge your body.

If you want to break the trip up even more and make it a 3 day trip, you certainly could, that would give you a few pretty relaxing days on the road and you'd have plenty of time to make stops and have fun, but if you are in a hurry to complete this trip, then 3 days is probably more than you really need.

Born2Travl Guest

Default Syr to DC some of VA and maybe a stop in Hershey PA

I've decided to make it a bit easier on myself, since I will be the only driver. So change of plans. Now, DC is the main vacation here.

But not sure what route is best to take.

As far as PA just not sure if want to do before or after DC. Just want to go to Hershey (haven't been there in years). But is this too far from where we would be driving to get to DC.

And VA (once we are in DC) just to touch the tip of it without having to do so much driving into it, since I will have to drive back home. So what's good there to see?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by AZBuck; 05-02-2010 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Merged with previous posts. Please do not start multiple threads for the same trip.

Default Easier

I used to make the drive between Ithaca where I worked and northern Virginia and/or Delaware where I had family on a routine basis. It is a drive which can be made comfortably in a relatively long, but not long, day. There are two good routes so that you can alter the way you go. The all Interstate route is I-81/I-476/I-95 through ABE, Philadelphia and Baltimore while the US/state route leaves I-81 at Cortland and uses NY-13/NY-14 down through Ithaca and Corning to US-15 south through the Susquehanna Valley past Gettysburg to either Frederick, MD (entering DC on I-270) or Leesburg, VA (entering the DC area on VA-7). The second route brings you relatively close to Hershey which is just east of Harrisburg.

In the DC/northern VA area are all the monuments and museums of the nation's capital, of course, several significant Civil War battlefields including Bull Run (Manasas) and Antietam, Mount Vernon, the US Naval Academy and Chesapeake Bay.

AZBuck

Born2Travl Guest

Default Another New Question/Idea!

So yes we want to do DC as the main part of this trip. But also doing Hershey PA and now want to add in some Boardwalk area. I thought about Wildwood, NJ at first. But I think I am going to go with Ocean City MD. It seems closer and I hear it is nice for families, with rides and all. Does this seem the better choice, based on the ride to keep it easier and everything a bit close. It is closer than NJ? Also trying to figure out if we should do the BW before or after DC. Our room in PA is paid for so no switching that date. So that's why we would either have to do BW before DC, or after PA. Pa is in the middle; in that I have sun--> through the following wed off. And PA is booked at the end of the week. I hope this isn't confusing and I can get some ideas. Also looking to make the ride back home as quick and easy as possible.

I'm also having to find a mini fridge to keep insulin cold, while we are driving. Thanks for any ideas.

Born2Travl Guest

Default Which is the better way to go?

From Upstate NY to: DC, Hershey PA then Ocean City, NJ...

OR...

From Upstate NY to: Ocean City NJ, DC then Hershey PA.

When I say better, I mean quickest and easiest to maneuver through traffic. Or is that asking too much. Or should we just go with OC, MD instead of NJ.

Mod Note: This is the second time you've created a new thread about this trip. If we have to Merge your threads again, you may lose your ability to post.
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 06-06-2010 at 10:39 AM.

Where in upstate NY?

Born2Travl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    Where in upstate NY?
    Utica, New York

Born2Travl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Travl View Post
    From Upstate NY to: DC, Hershey PA then Ocean City, NJ...

OR...

From Upstate NY to: Ocean City NJ, DC then Hershey PA.

When I say better, I mean quickest and easiest to maneuver through traffic. Or is that asking too much. Or should we just go with OC, MD instead of NJ.

Mod Note: This is the second time you've created a new thread about this trip. If we have to Merge your threads again, you may lose your ability to post.
    I've posted this question on this post and got no replies, that was why I started a new one. I was just asking again.