Default Road Trip Brain Drain

I'm probably going to be RTing at some point in the next 2-3 weeks with an uncle. Not sure which direction we'll end up going, but any ideas? I'm in central Illinois (about 20 miles south of I-80), and know we're only going to be gone like 4-5 days. We normally stay away from the larger cities if possible til stopping for the day, tending to go on the backroads. I'm a tad short on ideas. I know, sounds crazy. But, while not against doing a Wisconsin trip, I've seen pretty much all I want to see. I mean, the Manitowoc/Two Rivers area is beautiful, Minocqua is pretty, as is La Crosse. I've been through all the major parts of the state. I've been on a bit of the Great River Road, and it's pretty. I've done from WI in the north to AR in the south, OK in the west to WV in the east and a good chunk in between. I realize I've not seen everything, but while I love the general area, I'm getting a bit bored with it and not sure where to plan the trip. I'm fairly easy, anything along a river is a good thing. Like I say, I've done the GRR really from Dubuque IA to south into AR, but I've been on it as far north as La Crosse for a short spell. I've done the Ohio River from Gallipolis OH/Pt Pleasant WV to Madison IN and loved it (well, not the whole way. Got off the river to miss Cincinnati and Louisville), just running out of ideas. Don't want to get overly burned out on the"general area" and just need some ideas in the "greater midwest area". Any ideas for a trip where we will be driving 6-7 hours a day, well about that much drive time, like 350-420 miles each day. Any "must see" routes in the area I've mentioned? I know I haven't been greatly specific in where I've been, just would like some ideas on where to go and what to see. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

What about heading up to Door County, and/or up into the UP, coming back across the Macinac through the western Lower Peninsula?

Default Fill the Obvious Blanks

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

It's tough to offer random RoadTrip advice to someone we don't know well. Particularly since one of the unwritten rules around here is that there are no "must see's", and by the same token, there are no "boring" RoadTrips. But glc's advice is certainly one possible trip you can take. A more general piece of advice would be to just look at the map and determine where you haven't been and go there. There are plenty of things to do in every state, and plenty of back roads to drive on. Personally, I keep an atlas that has every road I've ever driven on marked, and take every opportunity to use alternatives and to fill in the obviously blank areas between marked roads.

AZBuck

Default revisiting

I think my advice is along the same lines as Buck. I'm sure there are some areas you haven't been yet - maybe the Door County, I didn't notice you say anything about the UP or really anywhere in Michigan, and perhaps Kentucky or Tennessee are still on your to do lists.

However, even if you've been to some of those areas, I'm quite certain you haven't seen "it all." Its easy to say that you've been to a town so you've "done it." 300 miles a day is a nice relaxing pace, but there's just no way you can see "everything" when you're covering that kind of ground - there are always things you have to chose to do and to skip. So if you go back to the same area, you can still have a whole different experience just by deciding to go left when last time you went right. This could be the perfect time to go back to a place that was one of your favorites, and give it another look, and find more and new interesting things in the same basic area.

Thanks for the replies. Don't know why I never consider Door County. Haven't been there in years. I guess I am trying to sorta stay away from places I've been to or been through. Don't ask me to list, lol, I'd be typing for a week. the mileage listed has become an unspoken thing in recent years; I don't drive (long story) and my uncle is 87. God bless him for still being able to go at that age. So, for Midwest Michael, where in WI is good to hit? I've done Door County (been about 20 years), done Manitowoc, La Crosse, Minocqua, Tomah. Been through Nicolet. Where else should I see? And glc, I've done Branson, St Louis, Hwy 61 (I-61? Follows the Mississippi) thru most of the state, Cape Girardeau and my fair share by way of both backroad and highway. Same question to you, where else do I hit? Just trying to keep a certain freshness to it. See different areas, etc. I don't mind hitting the same states over and over, it just needs to be a different way, and of course the scenery has to be good.
    AZBuck, it's not the road trip getting boring, it's just we end up in the same spots in Wisconsin. I guess "boring" is a strong word, just trying to avoid the obvious places I've been. Trying to get some ideas on stuff I've maybe not seen. And I know it's hard when you aren't too familiar with where someone has been. And let's change "must see" to "definitely should see if in the area". Websites are good and all, but I'm looking for more "local" flavor.

Have you ever done the Route 66 thing?

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    Have you ever done the Route 66 thing?
    No, and the saddest thing is, I can pick it up 26 miles from my door in Pontiac, IL. It is something to consider. Thanks. I've actually been reading about it in "Road Trip USA" by Jamie Jenson. It's part of how I figured out I've done part of the GRR. Will keep reading up and asking for ideas.

Default more

If you've missed out on Route 66, perhaps you've also missed out on the Lincoln Highway?

Have you spent anytime in the area south and west of Madison? New Glarus, Mount Horeb, Dodgeville, Mineral Point, etc? Continuing even farther out, it sounds like you might not have done the section of the River Road between Dubuque and LaCrosse? Petosi, Cassville, Prairie du Chien, and Effigy Mounds NM in Iowa? There's also the Wisconsin Dells - which with all of the waterparks and tacky tourist traps, it can be easy to forget that this area originally became a tourist hotspot because of its natural beauty and there are about a half dozen state parks in that region.