1. Default Goin from Washington to New York, best route?

My boyfriend and I are moving to NY this summer. My whole family lives there and I miss them a lot. We're trying not to spend a lot of money and we want to get there as fast as we can. We have 2 cats so we need to figure out hotels that will take them too. Are there any websites that show me stops a long the way and basically plans the whole thing out for me? Thanks for any help!

Where in Washington and where in New York? The fastest route from Seattle to NYC is I-90/I-94/I-90/I-80. This is 5 full days of driving, approximately 12 hours a day including fuel, food, and rest stops. Motel 6 is a relatively low priced hotel chain that's pet friendly, they officially allow ONE well-behaved pet per room, but if you call ahead to each hotel and ask, they may not have a problem with 2 cats. Your overnights would be around:

Missoula MT
    Bismarck ND
    Menomonie WI
    Toledo OH

Those locations all have a Motel 6.

You would need to research appropriate routes around/through the Minneapolis/St. Paul and Chicago metros. The best route is very time of day dependent. I think I would take 694 around the north and east side of MSP, and 290/355 around the west side of Chicago to I-80. This routing does involve some toll roads.

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

There is no magic tool that I know of that will automatically pick your stops for you - although you could of course go to AAA or some other travel agent and I imagine they'd be happy to do all of the work for you.

There are several online maps that you can manipulate (google, mapquest, etc) to add in stops. You really should not plan to drive more than 500-600 miles a day. That's a good rule of thumb for your own safety, but when you are traveling with cats you also need to think about them. They probably aren't going to really want to do much anything (eat, drink, litterbox) while they are in the car, so I would really limit your driving days to no more than about 10 hours.

GLC's city recommendations are a good start for points to plug into a mapping program and see if they work for you. The only thing I would really recommend changing is Missoula to Bismarck - that's more than 750 miles and way too far for one day. Rather, I'd be looking at stops in Butte MT and Dickenson ND, which would put all of your legs just under 600 miles each.

Butte and Dickinson make sense, the only reason I chose Missoula and Bismarck is the existence of Motel 6's. You would have to research hotels and call to determine pet policies. Another option would be to stay on I-90 instead of branching up to I-94, the drive time is pretty similar.

Default lot more options

Motel 6's may be cheap and pet friendly, but its not like they are the only motel or chain that will get the job done. Taking advantage of a favorite chain is one thing, but picking the stopping points of a roadtrip around one brand name is just not something I would recommend - and I would strongly advice against it if it means trying to travel 750 miles just to get to the next city with that particular brand of motel.

I admit I'm not a huge motel 6 fan - even with their recent renovations, I think you usually get a much better value for money and won't be nickel and dimed by spending a couple dollars more - but I would feel the same way if you were talking about Hiltons or Marriotts. There are enough motels in every price and amenity range (including pet friendly) along any route that you should never have choose your stops based on one specific brand.

Sorry, I should have said "you would have to research other hotels and call to determine pet policies". It was not my intent at all to lock them into Motel 6, I was just trying to possibly make it a little easier because of their known consistent policies. As a matter of fact, on the I-90 option, there aren't even any Motel 6's in the whole state of MN.

Default We're on a roll here!

Actually, GLC, I'm going to have to disagree once again. There are a handful of Motel 6's in Minnesota - including one that's not too far off of I-90 in Rochester. I just drove by it yesterday, by coincidence. (Rochester itself is a couple miles from I-90, and there's almost nothing that's close to the Interstate. Pretty much everything requires a couple mile detour onto US-52)

As luck would have it, if the original poster wants to take I-90 instead, it would be a decent possible stop, as Butte, Rapid City, Rochester, and Toledo would be the even spaced stops.

I stand corrected - the one in Rochester does not come up when I use the route planning function at motel6.com with the default of show within 5 miles of the route! I changed it to 10 miles and guess what shows up!