1. Default Advice: DC to Tacoma, WA - 1st roadtrip and have 2 young kids

My husband is being stationed at Ft. Lewis so we will be making the trip from DC to Tacoma, WA in July with our 2 daughters (2 and 4) and the cat. This is the first time I've ever driven west of Western PA so we want to make the most of our trip. We have a max of 2 weeks to make the trip, I would like to do it in 10 days( so I have some help unpacking before he starts work ;) ). We know we want to see Mt. Rushmore, Badlands, Black Hills. How much time should we allot to do those sights? And we want to spend a night or two in Yellowstone. What other places/sights should we try to see along the way? Particulary east of SD. Anything particularly kid friendly? We will start the trip on July 1st. Is there anyplace we should try to be for July 4th (or avoid for that matter).

I'm not a camper, recommendations for lodging that's reasonably priced and will allow a cat?

All advice and input is greatly appreciated!

Tucson, AZ

Default Kid Friendly Sites are Everywhere

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

At their age, your two daughters would be just as happy in a playground or park with some simple rides and a chance to run around, so plan on making ample use of the many convenient 'rest areas' all along the Interstates. In addition to the places you're already planning to see in the west, some good spots to visit in the east that are on your way include Cuyahoga Valley National Park outside Cleveland, Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore just east of Chicago, and the Circus World Museum in Baraboo, WI. If you think you'll be stopping in at least 4 National Parks, pick up a National Parks Pass at the first one you come to. Note that Mount Rushmore doesn't count in the four as the fee there is technically for parking rather than admission.

As for motels with modest rates and pet friendly policies, one of our regular contributors recommends looking into Motel 6 which allows small pets and has recently undertaken an upgrading/modernization program, but there are certainly other choices. Check out a few national chains' policies and if you find one you like, ask for a brochure listing their locations and about any frequent guest incentives they may have.