1. Default Dallas, Memphis, New Orleans, Houston - back to Dallas - Help please?

Hi Everyone

In 2008 we did a 3 week roadtrip, LA, San Francisco, Vegas etc which was fantastic.

In 2009 we did a 3 week roadtrip, Chicago, Boston, New York, Philadelphia, Washington etc which again was fantastic.

Now is the time for planning for this summer. Here's what I have sort of came up with for our 3 week trip but would love to have some input/assistance from anyone.

Fly into Dallas, stay 3 days.
    Drive to Hot Springs? stay overnight.
    Drive to Little Rock and stay overnight.
    Drive to Memphis and stay 3 nights.
    Drive to Nashville and stay 2 nights.
    Drive to Tuscaloosa and stay overnight.
    Drive to New Orleans and stay 3 nights.
    Drive to Lake Charles and stay overnight.
    Drive to Houston and stay 2 nights.
    Drive to San Antonio and stay overnight.
    Drive to Austin and stay 2 nights.
    Drive back to Dallas and stay overnight before flying home.

Last edited by AZBuck; 04-17-2010 at 07:50 AM. Reason: Added links to previous RoadTrips

Default Here and There

You've left yourself a lot of time to explore both the urban and rural landscape you'll be passing through, so let me just point out a few of the lesser known or visited attractions along your route that you and/or your family might enjoy. On the way to Hot Springs, Crater of Diamonds State Park offers the unique opportunity to dig for, and keep, real diamonds. In Memphis, Mud Island contains a complete scale model of the entire Mississippi. Between Memphis and Nashville, US-64 will take you past Shiloh to the Natchez Trace Parkway into Nashville. And not too far north of Nashville off I-65 is Mammoth Cave. And around Lake Charles there is a network of roads that will let you explore the natural beauty of the bayous. Hope you can find something of use in those suggestions.

AZBuck

3. Default

Thanks AZBuck. Going to have a look at all your fantastic suggestions.

Anyone else out there who has done this roadtrip, any comments would be really appreciated.

4. Default

I'm very familiar with New Orleans and Lake Charles. Could you give me some more information about what kind of trip you're looking for? Is it a family, a couple, friends? What kind of price range are you in? Information like that would be very helpful.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreaterNate View Post
    I'm very familiar with New Orleans and Lake Charles. Could you give me some more information about what kind of trip you're looking for? Is it a family, a couple, friends? What kind of price range are you in? Information like that would be very helpful.
    Myself, my husband and our two kids - boy of 18 and girl of 15 will be travelling. We normally budget around £100 per night for accommodation and around £150 spending money per day.

Will the kids get into places in New Orleans to see music etc. Also what else will take their interest? Also Lake Charles as a stopover, is that a good idea?

Thanks for your help.

6. Default

Yes, the kids will get into nearly all of the places in the French Quarter except for the adult venues on Bourbon Street. I'm from south Louisiana, and I would suggest you stay in Lafayette, LA instead of Lake Charles. Lafayette is a friendlier, more unique city and is the true heart of Cajun Country. There are LOTS of places with good, authentic Cajun food and Cajun music. One such place is Mulate's in Breaux Bridge which is about 15 minutes from Lafayette.