1. Default Riding a harley from San fran to Vegas

My husband and I are visiting America from Australia for a couple of weeks in June 2010
    We are flying into San fransisco and want to hire a harley and ride from there to vegas, staying overnight (one night) in death valley/yosemite. Any advice on the following would be appreciated:
    How long will it take? (I read 9 hours approx)
    Will it be way too hot? (around 14th June)
    Where should we stay?
    What is the most scenic route?

Joplin MO

SF to Yosemite via 580 and 120 is about 5 hours. Yosemite to LV through DV is about 10 hours over Tioga Pass, 395 to 136 to 190 to Pahrump, then 160. You may want to spend a night in Yosemite and a night in DV.

Tucson, AZ

Default The Odd Bit of Kowledge

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

There are several motorcycle rental agencies in San Francisco. A quick check found that for a relatively standard Harley, you'll be looking at $750-800 for a three day, one-way rental.

9 hours is a very optimistic estimate and assumes that you take the Interstate route south around the mountains through Bakersfield and Barstow. Open road, but hardly scenic. If you go through Yosemite and over Tioga Pass (CA-120) and then south to Lone Pine on US-395 and into Death Valley, finishing up with Ash Meadows Road to Parhump and Las Vegas, then you're looking at two very full riding days. A roughly half way point would be Bishop along US-395.

On that scenic route you'll be facing some very different temperatures, from lows in the 50's in Yosemite to highs up to 110 in Death Valley, so yes, in full leathers, that could definitely be a bit much. Bring LOTS of water if you decide to go that way.

4. Default

Great thanks for that info and suggested route.
    We will stay 2 nights as suggested, somewhere in Yosemite and another night in DV.
    I will have a look at the other forums and on the net, but any suggestions for accommodation around these areas would be appreciated