Default Planning Out West trip

Our family (mom, dad, 3 kids) are planning an "Out West" road/camping trip this summer from NC headed to such places as Grand Canyon, Tetons, Yellowstone, etc... Any suggestions, ideas?

South of England.

Default Give the dog a bone.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

You really haven't given us anything to go on, such as how you intend on "getting out West", your interests and how long you have. With millions of possibles and no clues it really is impossible for anyone to offer meaningful advice.

Get the map out, search the forums and when you have found things that you would like to do and are interested in drop by and perhaps we can help piece it together.

Enjoy the planning !

Default See you on the Road, and......... are a couple of initial thoughts.

Hello Neighbor,

I type this from my CPA firm desk in Raleigh as I eagerly anticipate the completion of another filing season in just 5 days, including another long one today. One of my more pleasant distractions is planning for my own RoadTrip to Montana during the month of July.

As was suggested above, some elementary information is needed before useful suggestions can be offered. Do you figure on camping or motels, or a combination? How long do you have, door to door? What are the ages of the kids? Will you be figuring on lots of outside activities or more inside/cultural ones?

I think the most useful initial thought I can offer to a first-time Western US traveler is this: Our country is HUGE. Not only will it properly take you 3+ days to get to anywhere well west of the Mississippi, the distance and travel time between the Grand Canyon and Yellowstone is great, meaning your "intra-West" travel times are material.

As to summertime travel involving camping, remember elevation is your friend. Arizona will be by and large hot, but the high elevations at GCNP make is more bearable than lower AZ elevations. Temps in the Northern Rockies in WY and MT can be quite cool at night and the daytimes very pleasant.

If as you suggested you're interested in hitting at least a few National Parks, a season pass seems wise, so by all means look into that. A single fee will admit the carload of you to any/all National Parks for a full year.

Looking forward to hearing more of your plans.