Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Grand Canyon to San Fran..help!

Hi

I'm planning my first ever road trip and was wondering if anyone could help?
    We're driving from the South Rim of Grand Canyon to San Francisco and have left 4 days to do this...first - is this long enough?
    Also, does anyone have ant suggestions about routes or where to stop over for the nights? It's the end of our journey and so it doesn't have to be particularly scenic, just quick, easy and safe..

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Thankyou!
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 04-07-2010 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Title correction

Considering that by fastest route it's an easy 2 day drive, 4 days is more than enough time to do it and see some sights. There's a lot you can see in between the GC and SF, break out a map and see what things you may want to see! I can think of Las Vegas, Death Valley, Yosemite, and the California coast among others.

The fastest way would follow I-40/CA-58/I-5.

Default Easily.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

It's a very straight forward drive but it isn't clear whether your "4 days left" is to include time in SF or just to get there. As said you could make it in 2 days and have a little time in the City or take your time and see some of the best scenery going ! Through Vegas and across Death valley on 190 and North on 395 and 120 to Yosemite would be my no.1 choice, it's pretty amazing and so diverse.

Once you have decided what you want to do I am sure we can help with the detail.

4. Default

Thanks for the replies.
    4 days doesn't include time in the city at the other end, it's just for driving.
    It's just the last 4 days to get back to San Fran to catch a flight, following a trip round yosemite NP, Las Vegas and Grand Canyon - that's why it's not as important to see all of the sights - I'll hopefully have seen them all!

Any ideas of cities I can stay in which are conveniently located?

Thanks again!

Pick your route, then we can help you with places to stay.

Thanks for asking the question, we will keep an eye on the posts as we are doing the same trip having broadly chosen southwest Dave's suggested route. His comments have only made us anticipate enjoying the route even more.

7. Default

What I was thinking was I40W to Lake Havasu city for a night, then onto Bakersfield on CA48W. Then from there onto San Francisco. Not sure if this is the best route or whether there are okay places to stay the night on the way??

Thanks for the comments so far :)

Default Your goals

Hi Laura,

It is a little confusing as you say "you have hoped to have seen all the sights" but we don't know what they might be and you also implied you "just want to drive back to SF" . Personally I would take full advantage of that time and make it a part of your adventure rather than just a way back to SF. Lake Havasu would make a nice stop and Bakersfield is an option but with 4 days I would be looking to head to the coast or maybe into the Sequoia National Monument from Kernville near to Lake Isabella and possibly Sequoia NP if you haven't been there already.

Default that's the fastest but..

While the route you've listed would be the fastest and most direct route to get to Yosemite, I would recommend the same route that Dave suggested earlier going through Death Valley and entering Yosemite by crossing Tioga Pass.

Overnight stops could be at Death Valley, somewhere along US-395 like Bishop, Mammoth Lake, or Lee Vining, and then in Yosemite National Park.

Default ok, wait

Sorry, I just reread your post, and now I am as confused as Dave is.

If you are just looking for the fastest way back to SF, you've picked the right route, but there is no reason you'd need to spend 4 days on it. You could easily do it in two, and use the other 2 days to spend more time enjoying the other places you're already planning to visit.

If you are going to take 4 days for the trip, then I would look for other things to add on, perhaps Joshua Tree, Los Angeles, and/or the Central Coast.