1. Default dallas to vegas to los angeles to kansas to dallas

hi,

as you can see above my route is big but it is for a long duration. i plan to leave dallas in the morning and reach next day by evening to vegas. could you please tell me some scenec routes that i may take on the way as i don't want to stay much on the interstate. also is this time frame of about two days enough to make this trip. we are two friends taking a trip to vegas to have some fun. we were thinking of staying somewhere on the way the first night of this trip but didn't know where. we want to stay some where we can go out to chill. any suggestions?

we stay in vegas for two days then travel to los angeles and stay there for a week. go to indigo. c.a for coachella. come back to los angeles and stay there for few more days

then we travel from los angeles to kansas city for a flaming lips concert. again i needed some suggestions here for the way for some good scenic routes. we plan to do this trip in two days. lodging suggestions for the first night would be great.

after staying in kansas for a day then leave for dallas. cover the trip in one day. scenic suggestions please.

we are flexible with the dates and time can be extended if necessary. i am not in a hurry at all but i also love driving and hence the long driving hours.

any suggestions would be great. thanks, really appreciate it.
    Last edited by lone rider; 04-06-2010 at 11:43 PM.

Default You're Not Leaving Time For 'Scenic'

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Each of your driving legs, except for Las Vegas to Los Angeles, calls for covering at least 600 miles a day. Los Angeles to "Kansas" could call for as much as 750. There is simply no way to do that on anything other than the most direct Interstate possible. So the first thing you're going to have to decide is which is more important to you your flexibility on time or your desire to avoid Interstates.

AZBuck

3. Default

the last two legs i have a strong desire to avoid interstates. that is the los angeles to kansas and kansas to dallas. here i would not mind spending another day to three.

in the first leg from dallas to vegas i wouldn't mind sticking to the interstate coz that time is a little less flexible.

The fastest way from Dallas to LV is US-287 to Amarillo, then I-40 to Kingman and US-93 to LV. This is a 2 day trip with an overnight stop in Albuquerque. If you want to avoid possible security delays at the Hoover Dam, take the truck bypass, which is AZ-68 to Laughlin, then NV-163 to US-95.

LA to KC is a 3 day drive via fastest route, which is I-15 to I-70. KC to Dallas is a full day's drive via I-35. Where can you add days?

Default It's Possible

As is true most places, the 'old' US and state highway systems are still out there in the shadows of the Interstates, so one can almost always find alternatives to the superslabs. For your Los Angeles to Kansas run, it's a bit convoluted to write out, but nevertheless: West of L.A., pick up CA-62 around the north side of Joshua Tree National Park to the Arizona state line at Earp/Parker then AZ-95/AZ-72 to US-60 east. At Aquila, AZ take AZ-71 to Congress and get on US-89. North of Prescott switch over to AZ-89A up to Flagstaff and get back on US-89 to US-160 which you would follow all the way to Walsenburg, CO. There, continue eastbound on CO-10 to US-50 which will take you into Kansas.

Not knowing where in Kansas you're going, I can't be more specific than that, nor can I advise you on a route from Kansas to Dallas. But once you're out on the plains, the highways mostly follow a north-south and east-west pattern and there are any number of roads south from Kansas into Texas including US-83, US-183, US-281, US-77, US-75 and many others.

AZBuck

Quote Originally Posted by AZBuck View Post
    Not knowing where in Kansas you're going, I can't be more specific than that, nor can I advise you on a route from Kansas to Dallas. AZBuck
    I found it:

then we travel from los angeles to kansas city for a flaming lips concert.

Default Eyeballs, Meet Brain

Thanks glc. In that case US-69/US-75 will do the trick.

AZBuck

8. Default

thanks az. this looks really great.
    appreciate it.