Default Memphis, Nashville and Smokies

My wife and I are planning a road trip to the above places.
    We fly in to Memphis 14th June and have booked three nights at Days Inn near Graceland.
    We then go to Nashville and also want to see the Smokies unless better ideas come along.
    We love music and countryside drives and look forward to any suggestions.
    We return to Memphis on 25th June to fly to Denver for the second and larger part of our tour.

Default Denver to San Francisco

This part two of our trip.
    We fly into Denver on 25th June and fly out of San Francisco 19th July back to the UK.
    From Denver we plan to make our way to the Moab area
    Mesa Verde and Monument Valley.
    Grand Canyon North Rim
    Grand Canyon Village.
    Las Vegas
    Death Valley
    Yosemite
    Lake Tahoe. I don't know why but seen it in films and saw it on the map.
    San Francisco
    Do you think we are taking on too much or too little? Are there better suggestions?
    Help
    Last edited by AZBuck; 04-06-2010 at 07:36 AM. Reason: Merged with part 1. Please do not create multiple threads for the same trip.

Sorry, I reasoned that as they are in different parts of the country separated by a flight two different threads would be appropriate.

There is a nice scenic drive along the East Tennessee Border.

I haven't actually driven it (Yet). It looks really fun though.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default A Bifurcated RoadTrop

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

For the Eastern section of your RoadTrip, let me suggest that you look into a route that does more than just follow the Interstates (motorways) since you have the time to explore the countryside at a bit slower pace and greater depth than such roads allow. For example, US-64 across southern Tennessee is an enjoyable road that will take you by one of our great battlefields, Shiloh, which can be savored even if you're not an American history buff. You could then drive at east a short section of one of our great scenic byways, the Natchez Trace. In western Tennessee, US-70 runs roughly parallel to I-40 to the Great Smokies area. On the way back, an alternative route would have you using US-19 south on the eastern side of the Appalachians through the Cherokee Nation, then westbound on US-64/US-72 through Chattanooga and Huntsville, AL before another short section, southbound this time, on the Natchez Trace to Tupelo, MS before completing the circuit on US-78 back to Memphis.

The Western section, as you've lain it out, is over 2,000 miles of driving. Again, you have the time but I think you can be a bit more efficient with your itinerary. The most glaring example is the inclusion of both the North and South Rims of the Grand Canyon. It's a 200 mile drive from one to the other and a total of nearly 500 miles to Las Vegas by your planned route. I heartily recommend the North Rim, especially as you will be there at the Canyon at the height of tourist season and the experience at the much more popular and accessible South Rim can get a bit lost in the crowds, and then head northwest into Utah and see at least Zion National Park before hitting Las Vegas. That would save you nearly 200 miles of driving (and the delays in crossing Hoover Dam) while adding to your experience. In the Tahoe area, Virginia City is quite interesting and would set you up for a drive through the Napa Valley on your way to San Francisco.

AZBuck

AZBuck, thanks for your help it is much appreciated,
    We just love getting off the beaten track away from the hustle and bustle. Your links have given us some more choices and as they are recommended are valued more.
    We are used to fairly big daily mileages, 700+ miles from my nephew’s house in France to ours in the UK but I guess we will have to lower our expectations due to your lower speed limits. Actually I don’t know what the USA speed limits are so I’ll have to do some research especially into your highway code.
    I like your suggestion of going to Zion from the North Rim. Do you really think we wouldn’t be missing anything by not going to the South Rim?
    We know we will miss an awful lot on the way but as my wife says that’s a good reason to go back.

Here is a comprehensive list of US speed limits. They vary by state, type of road, and whether you are in urban or rural areas. Do not plan on driving more than 5 mph over the limit. A lot of people do, but you would definitely risk a speeding ticket, and driving on a foreign license you would most likely be detained until you paid the fine in cash.

We recommend you limit your daily drive to around 550 to 600 miles.

GLC thanks for the info, aren't same interest forums great. I hadn't realised your speed limits had changed so much.
    I did have a look at the California Highway Code yesterday and found that very helpful. I suppose it all comes down to not being in a hurry and being careful interpreting road signs. I assume there are variations of the same sign from state to state i.e different colour. Correct me if I am wrong.

There may be some small differences in signs, or you might see a specific sign in one state that might not be used in another - but they are all about the same.

Rules of the Road (Speed Limits, Slower Traffic Keep Right, Do Not Pass, etc) will have a black background. Stop signs (yield, Rail Road, Do Not Enter) will be in Red. Traffic advisories will be in Yellow (Road Curves, bumps, Slippery When Wet, etc).

Location guideposts (Distances to the next town, Exit signs, etc) will be on a Green background, while services are generally in blue (gas, food, lodging), and Recreation/Parks/Historic areas will be done in brown.

There is a Federal highway sign code that all states are required to follow. Any differences between states will only be in the details.