Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Phoenix, AZ>Cincy, OH (advice or suggestions)

New member here but not a stranger to road trips! I usually wouldn't do too much research with my previous trips, just plugging in directions in Google Maps and hitting the road, but this time I wanted to see what people thought and maybe discover a few pearls. I've skimmed through the other forum topics on saving money and good routes, but didn't find anything as specific.

Keep in mind this is all tentative, so if something should be changed let me know

So I'm planning my trip for around April 18 from Phoenix, AZ to Cincinnati, Ohio.

I'm not straying too far from old habits, as I am following the first/shortest route on Google maps (basically 40>44>64>70). I plan on stopping once in Oklahoma City and I hope to complete the trip in as short of a time period as possible. Five years ago I made the trip from Cincy to Phoenix through the wide part of Texas (10) and now I hate Texas (lol), so I was going to go the northern route instead. If it's better on gas or cheaper in any other aspect I would consider it, but I don't know yet if it would be.

I've seen posts regarding the safe distances to travel in one trip and while my legs are longer than suggested, I feel due to previous experience I will be just fine. If I do become tired or overly distracted I have no problem pulling over and catching a few hours of rest.

I plan on getting a cheap hotel in OKc (I've found many on hotels.com under $50) to stretch out and sleep before the second leg. I'm able to bring all the belongings from the car into the room for the night, and I plan on doing so.

So now for most of the questions I have (I know I'll forget some):

Are there any little ways to tweak the route to avoid traffic or bad highways (narrow/one lane/heavily patrolled)?

Any secrets on good, safe places to sleep for a great price (beside travel sites online/motels)?

Is the Texas route easier/cheaper (please say it ain't so)?

Is it better to leave on a monday morning or a sunday morning?

Are there any tricks to keeping awareness up for longer periods of time?

So what do you guys think? Thanks in advance for taking the time to read and respond!

No matter how you cut it, you will not find any regular contributor or moderator here who will recommend that you do this trip in less than 3 days. The fastest route is 17/40/44/70/74. Taking 64/71 is about 15 minutes longer. You would be looking at overnights around Tucumcari NM and Springfield MO. With minimal stops for gas, food, bathroom, and leg stretching this is three 11 hour days. Driving significantly more than that is not recommended, and is illegal for professional drivers.

Default rule 1: don't endanger others

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

My advice to you is you should ask yourself this important question: Why are the lives of the people with whom you will be sharing the road less important than your desire to complete this trip in 2 days?

Making this trip in 2 days can not be done safely. At multiple points during your trip, your driving skills will have deteriorated below that of someone who is legally drunk. You're simply trying to push yourself harder than the human body can be pushed. If you've done this trip before, you've played russian roulette and won, but the statistics and evidence are clear - the kind of thing you want to do is extremely dangerous, to both yourself and others, and would be illegal for a professional driver (and the research suggests that even what pros are allowed to do starts to get beyond what is safe). If you were just trying to drive 900-1000 miles in one day, we could begin a discussion, but to drive those distances in back to back days means there is no chance at all for your body to recover, and there is just no way we can support this kind of plan.

Your trick to staying awake and alert - get enough rest and don't push yourself so hard that you are trying to force your body to do something that it just can't do. A drunk driver will typically drive drunk more than 100 times before they either get caught or crash, that doesn't mean that the first 99 times were safe. I would strongly encourage you not to fool yourself into thinking your plans are safe just because you haven't had a problem in your previous cases.

I suspect these are not the answers you are looking for, but we do have an ethical obligation to the others who will also be on the road at the same time, and we aren't going to "give keys to a drunk" by giving you additional help to do something that could very easily injure or kill someone.

If I do become tired or overly distracted I have no problem pulling over and catching a few hours of rest.

The VERY LAST thing I want to do is endanger the lives of others on the road trying to get to loved ones as I am. I really mean it when I say that if I feel the SLIGHTEST bit distracted or tired I will pull over immediately.

What would be the best places to stop as a three day trip? Amarillo and then St. Louis?

Default The Fallacy of "I Can Stop Anytime I Want"

You need to understand that there is a basic fallacy in your 'logic' that "if [you] feel the SLIGHTEST bit distracted or tired [you] will pull over immediately." For the same reason that a drunk will have one more 'little one' or a drug addict can 'handle it', when the time comes that you need to stop, you will be in no position to be the judge of your condition. As Michael pointed out, and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has verified, sleep deprived drivers kill and maim tens of thousands of people each year. And I challenge your assertion that you would never engage in such unsafe practices. You already have and you propose(d) to do so again, and rather than seeking safe alternatives, you sought 'tricks' and ways to avoid having to obey the law.

Three days is the minimum safe driving time for this trip, but even that is really pushing it. You will need to cover over 600 miles each of those three days, and what's worse, each of your 'days' will only be 23 hours long due to time zone changes. That hour a day will have to come out of your sleep, there's no other place for it to come from. Evenly spaced stops for two overnight stops would be Tucumcari, NM and Joplin, MO.

AZBuck

I'm flying a friend down now to make the drive with me and we will be switching driving ( I had no idea the one way would be this cheap on such short notice). I still think I'm going to make it a three day so we can stop and enjoy new cities, but maybe just switching halfway through a leg and making it a two day. I trust all of your opinions and cannot deny the facts. I am already budget conscious and don't want to do anything to cause myself or others more grief or financial burden.

With that in mind (that I'll have an extra driver), any new suggestions?

Would a two day be safe with two drivers (~600mi each/day)?

What are the most interesting cities to stop in a two day and three day, respectively?

Even with 2 drivers, we still really wouldn't recommend trying to make this trip in 2 days A second person can certainly help, to a degree, but the distances required still mean that neither of you would be getting enough real rest to make this trip. Just sitting in the car is physically draining, and really, the 2nd person needs to stay awake to keep an eye on the driver. It isn't until you get to 3 drivers, where one person can be in the back sleeping, and working in a strict rotation, can you start to safely extend into 900-1000 mile driving days.

3 days will set yourselves up quite nicely however. Albuquerque, Oklahoma City, and St. Louis are all great cities where you could get off the road for an hour or two.

Quote Originally Posted by coda333 View Post
    What would be the best places to stop as a three day trip? Amarillo and then St. Louis?
    As I said in my first post, Tucumcari and Springfield are just about exact 1/3 and 2/3 points. See how the trip goes, adjust as desired. There's no problem finding affordable lodging all the way across.

If you have another driver with you I would advise several stops about 2 hours a part. That's how I have done it and it works. Your eyes need time to adjust. If you focus on the long distances of driving for 2 hours and come back ith short distances in the passenger seat while not having to focus on what is going on around you, then you can have some rest as you try to do this in 3 days.

Now to answer a question previously untouched. When you decide on your two stops (most likely Tucumcari and Springfield) you can go on hotels.com or a site similar to it and look at hotels in your price range. Then you can read customer reviews and see which hotels suit your needs the best.

Leaving on Sunday morning vs Monday morning may save time on traffic depending on if you are planning to leave during rush hour on Monday morning. That decision is entirely up to your needs and the area from where you are leaving.

A tip if you use hotels.com - they do not have Motel 6 listings. You have to use the motel6.com site for their listings. Motel 6 is cleaning up their act - I've been in some decent ones recently. They are still barebones with very few amenities, but the cleanliness and decor has improved considerably.