Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Boston to LA road trip!!

Hello All!

I hope I am posting in the right forum! My friend and I are leaving on a 2 week long road trip from Boston to LA starting on April 7th! We've planned most of it loosely out, but I am stuck on the middle part, and in browsing your forums, it seems like you all are very helpful so I thought I would turn to you!

Here is our itinerary:
    April 7th: Boston to Philadelphia--staying with friends and may have time for some touristy stuff :)
    April 8th: Philly to Columbus OH--stopping at Hershey Park on the way!
    April 9th: leaving early morning OH to St. Louis MO staying for the weekend
    April 11th: touristy stuff in St. Louis: I'd like ot go to the top of the arch--let me know what other "must-sees" you think there are. Then St. Louis to Champaign IL
    April 12th: Spending the day at Champaign?
    12-14th: Here is where things get a little fuzzy...we'd like to get to Denver CO by April 15th at night or 16th during the day.
    April 13th: Chicago IL perhaps?
    April 14th: need a rest stop between IL and CO that has fun things to do!
    April 16th-17th: Denver CO
    April 18th and 19th: Moab Utah--we're going to do Arches national park and white water rafting!
    April 20th and 21st: Arizona: Grand Canyon and Painted Desert
    April 21st/22nd: LA!!! Final Destination!!

Basically I need help finding a place to stay in between Illinois and Denver--we were originally thinking Oakley KS because there is a very cheap motel there, but I am second guessing, because wherever we stop we'd like there to be something to do, and there just doesn't seem to be anything to do in Kansas!!

So of KS, NE or MO--where would you pick to make a stop and what would you want to do there?

Thanks so much in Advance! I am really enjoying reading the archives so far!
    ~Ellie

You are doing some backtracking - I'd go from Columbus to Chicago and/or Champaign, then St. Louis. Between St. Louis and Denver is Kansas City, Lawrence, and Topeka. If you are going from Chicago to Denver, there's Omaha.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    You are doing some backtracking - I'd go from Columbus to Chicago and/or Champaign, then St. Louis. Between St. Louis and Denver is Kansas City, Lawrence, and Topeka. If you are going from Chicago to Denver, there's Omaha.
    Yes, sorry should have clarified...we're backtracking because we are rushing to get to St. Louis to get to a concert and then we are backtracking to IL so that my friend who I am driving with can see his friend who goes to UofI there...we're not really crunched for time, so we don't mind :)

So from Champaign IL to Denver...where would you be your #1 pick to stop?

Default backtracked

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I am a little puzzled by your routing. You're planning to go from St. Louis, and then back northeast to Chicago, and then back to Denver.

I'll also say that Oakley is more than 800 miles from Chicago, so that's much farther than you should be trying to get in one day.

Since you're stopping in Champaign, I'm assuming you're college aged, and if that the case, then finding another college town along the way to Denver would probably be along the lines of what you are looking for? Either Omaha or Lincoln Nebraska would be an obvious ideas on the direct route. Omaha is really a nice city, with a great music scene and a very nice downtown area, and Lincoln is certainly one of the best college towns in the plains. If you really were looking to go through Kansas, then Lawrence would also be a viable option, which is another nice college town where you should have no problem finding good nightlife. Any of those 3 cities would be pretty close to half way, and would make for reasonable stops on a 2 day drive.

Default A two day trip

I see I'm late to joining this party -- but I'd recommend Lawrence, Kansas too -- a nice college town.

Mark

6. Default

Thanks all!

I graduated college in May of 09, so close to college-aged ;)

If we were to stay in Lawrence KS...what would be some of the things you all would choose to do there? Same for Omaha....?

TIA!!

Only you can say what it is that would be the best choice for you. No one else on this or any other forum can answer what is going to be most interesting to you. We've given you a few options that will have plenty of places to eat, drink, and have fun - but specifically would be the best choice for you in those cities just isn't something that we can answer. You need to take the next step to do a little research on those places and figure out what might work best based on the things you are looking for and the things you enjoy doing.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    Only you can say what it is that would be the best choice for you. No one else on this or any other forum can answer what is going to be most interesting to you. We've given you a few options that will have plenty of places to eat, drink, and have fun - but specifically would be the best choice for you in those cities just isn't something that we can answer. You need to take the next step to do a little research on those places and figure out what might work best based on the things you are looking for and the things you enjoy doing.
    I actually think the opposite is true, I specifically asked for advice on things to do...I'm open to all suggestions (I mean if something you suggest isnt of interest to me, thats fine, I can always ignore it). I just wanted some advice from people who had been to any of those places on what they would think would be a "must see" or a fun place to go--Im not asking people to predict what I would like, just to tell me what they personally like.

I'm actually kind of baffled by your suggestion, if someone were going to come to Boston (where Im from) and asked me suggestions on things to do, I would absolutely tell them what I thought would be the most fun for them! Thats the way you get ideas for a trip, you ask other people what they like to do there! I dont think it would be all that helpful if someone asked me stuff to do in Boston and all I said was "well you should see about staying in Cambridge"

So far no one has given me any one thing to do at all. Places to stay are wonderful, and I am thankful for the suggestions, but honestly, that is something easily done on my own (researching where to stay and cheap hotels etc.) whats more important are things to do in that location,and I would love to hear from anyone whose been there what they enjoyed while there.

Also I actually have looked up websites on Lawrence, Omaha, and Lincoln...and while several things sound not too bad, really Id love to hear what other people liked there so I can get an idea of what is good to see.--Sorry I keep hammering this point so much, but its truly honestly why I posted on the forums in the first place!

Sorry to ramble so much....I hope Ive made myself clear.

And thanks to all those who can help!
    ~Ellie

I don't think Hershey Park (the amusement park part, at least) will be open on a weekday in April. Driving from Philly to Columbus in one day is certainly possible but that wouldn't leave you much time to stop in Hershey. There is a chocolate museum type place in Hershey that you could stop at -- that is probably open year round.

I have a friend in Omaha who I was coincidentally emailing with yesterday who said that the Henry Doorly Zoo, the Old Market and the college world series are worth visiting. Not sure when the college world series is but probably later than April.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by scosm View Post
    I don't think Hershey Park (the amusement park part, at least) will be open on a weekday in April. Driving from Philly to Columbus in one day is certainly possible but that wouldn't leave you much time to stop in Hershey. There is a chocolate museum type place in Hershey that you could stop at -- that is probably open year round.

I have a friend in Omaha who I was coincidentally emailing with yesterday who said that the Henry Doorly Zoo, the Old Market and the college world series are worth visiting. Not sure when the college world series is but probably later than April.
    Thank you scosm!

I had no idea about Hershey Park--thanks for the tip, it might work out better if we dont stop there anyways.

Thanks for the info about Omaha, Im off to go look into what the Old Market is...sounds interesting!