1. Default Solo NY - to the Midwest Suggestions and Advice

Hello, I am looking to leave on a lifetime dream trip from NY next month.

I am in NY and have always wanted to see New Mexico and the national parks. I plan to drive solo, looking to make the trip in 3 weeks. I have never been to NM and I am looking to check that off the list, but if it is going to put me days out of the midwest sights and attractions I would like to see I can leave it for another time, maybe I would do Oregon and loop north instead .After that I would like to wander the Grand Canyon, Wyoming, Yellowstone, Utah, etc and eventually make my way back to NY. I want to drive the desert highways, the road less traveled and remote areas.

I am a photographer so I will be looking for photo opportunities along the way. My main goal is to visit small western towns, eat in the local diners, restaurants, have drinks in the local bars, and really get a flavor of the America you begin to miss living in NY. My question is about suggested routes, attractions, experiences etc...

ANY advice would be much much appreciated, I am going to run a time-lapse camera the entire time and post the video along with images on my blog from the road. Keep posted as I look to leave at the end of April, and I want to thank anyone who replies with advice. I enjoy this website and it is time I contribute.
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 03-28-2010 at 03:11 PM. Reason: I love your photos -- but you need to be a contributing member for a while first!

Default Lurkers Welcome -- Contributors are Favored

Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum -- Today has been a "red-letter day" in terms of the number of lurkers who've joined the road trip community for the first time. Links to personal blogs (even the fabulous ones) are discouraged until you've contributed more.
    I am in NY and have always wanted to see New Mexico and the national parks. I plan to drive solo, looking to make the trip in 3 weeks. I have never been to NM and I am looking to check that off the list, but if it is going to put me days out of the midwest sights and attractions I would like to see I can leave it for another time, maybe I would do Oregon and loop north instead .After that I would like to wander the Grand Canyon, Wyoming, Yellowstone, Utah, etc and eventually make my way back to NY. I want to drive the desert highways, the road less traveled and remote areas.
    As a photographer, you might consider planning this trip based on the available light and you could easily spend your entire time in just one state -- Utah comes to mind. A three week trip will require a 7-8 days just in transit, so perhaps you could share a bit more about what you'd like to do on this trip?

As a place to start -- look at this serious of field reports -- by another really great photographer, Peter Thody, who also favors hanging out in local's bars as he travels!

Mark

3. Default

Thanks for the welcome... I have been looking into Utah and I am going to make a few stops there along the way. My family is going to Jackson WY in August so I am going to incorporate a stop there at that time while they are there. That puts me in WY for 1 week in August, any suggestions on the route out in that area or areas around Jackson would be greatly appreciated. So far, I would like to see Badlands, Deadwood, and Yellowstone.

My major goal is to travel the desert highways with nothing for miles and miles except the deserted gas station. I am looking for photo opportunities in the most deserted areas and gorgeous expanse of space that is the west. Thanks again in advance for any help and/or suggestions

If you want deserted roads, concentrate in Nevada. There's US-50, US-6, and the ET Highway.