1. Default Honeymoon Roadtrip from UK

Hi Everyone

It's going to be our first journey to America in October this year. We are going to Las Vegas for 7 days, getting married on the last day. We then want to hire a car and drive around California for 10-12 days. To be honest with you I have no idea where to start in planning this.

There are places that we want to go to but I'm unsure of where is best to stop off inbetween etc. From leaving Vegas we'd like to visit the Grand Canyon (staying overnight), Los Angeles, Disney and San Francisco. I know that it is a lot of distance to cover.

I would be very grateful for as much advice as possible. Where's nice to stay over between long journeys, how many days is needed to stay at each spot, Which is the best route to take, Where you recommend flying back to the UK from??? (was planning to go back to vegas but am open to tips!!)

Thanks for the help in advance
    Kimmy :-)

Green County, Wisconsin

Default a popular starting point

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

The places you've listed are all very common stops and make for the most discussed basic trip outline on this forum. A trip where you'd go across to SF, via Death Valley and Yosemite, down the coast to LA, back over to the Grand Canyon, and then finish back in Vegas makes for a great loop. Finishing back in Vegas would make perfect sense, and doing a round trip should make for cheaper airfare and car rental rates. I will say that with 10-12 days, you will have to budget your time, as that is a lot to see in that amount of time, especially if this is a honeymoon where you'll probably want to go at a slightly slower pace than normal.

Like i said, there are thousands of threads on this forum about this basic trip, so take some time looking around.. Here are a few of our favorites to get you started.

South of England.

Default Doable.

Hello, welcome and Congratulations !

Following on from the route Michael pointed out that includes Death valley and Yosemite I just thought that I would add the following, By heading to SF first and Then heading South towards LA all the ocean views and pull outs will be on your side of the road making it easier to stop and take photo's and enjoy the stunning scenery.

Yosemite is awesome, but as you are travelling in Oct you will be facing the possibility of the popular Tioga pass [CA120] closing for the season, the earlier in Oct the better the chance of it remaining open.

To do the full loop would limit the amount of time you would have in each place but it would be possible and 12 days would make it all the more relaxing.