1. Default Delmava road trip ideas

I've driven through this area on the way to the Chesapeake Bridge and Virginia and thought it might make a good and inexpensive 2-3 day rambling destination. Suggestions for places to stay, where to eat, things to see etc. welcome.

Tucson, AZ

Default The Delmarva

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

The Delmarva Peninsula is actually one of my favorite 'hidden treasures' on the east coast. Three days is just barely enough time to scratch the surface, but if you travel through the area frequently, it is enough time to whet your appetite for later visits. In the Chesapeake Bay Bridge area, there are a number of wonderful small towns that make for great strolls through historic and scenic 'downtowns' including Chestertown, Easton and Oxford. In Chestertown, check to see if the Sultana is in port and in Oxford, plan on taking the sunset (last) run of the ferry over to Bellevue and back for great views of the Bay. In St Michaels, which is full of upscale boutiques and can get crowded on a summer weekend, visit the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum.

Farther down the peninsula and on the Atlantic side are the historic town of Lewes, home to the Zwaanendael Museum, and the Delaware beaches; Assateague Island in Maryland and Chincoteague Island in Virginia, both worth visiting for the wildlife and unspoiled beaches; and just inshore from Chincoteague is Wallops Island, home to a NASA launch facility and small museum. Continuing southward and back on the Bay side is Crisfield, an old-time fishing town and home to the ferries (passengerr only - no cars) that will take you to Smith and Tangier Islands out in the Bay.

In addition, all up and down the peninsula are numerous national and state wildlife refuges, parts of the Atlantic Flyway, that will let you just get away from it all. As I say, that's just a start, and now that I look at it probably more than you can do in three days, but this is certainly an area worth exploring.