1. Default LA Road Trip via Vegas, Grand Canyon, Salt Lake City, Boise, Portland, San Franciso

I am planning to take my family to the US this August.

At the moment we are thinking of flying to LA and taking a RV around over 3 weeks - there's six of us: two adults and four kids from 19 down to 8.

I am trying to work out the best route, which airport to fly in and out off etc...

We are thinking of LA to Vegas (incl Grand Canyon) then up to Salt Lake City, then to Boise, over to Portland and across and down the coast to San Francisco back to LA. But we can start at any point and return to that point if the other airports are cheaper for hire or flights.

Can anyone suggest an itinery to make the best of the time allowing for great scenery. theme parks, city trips, and relax(ish) but breathtaking drives?

And any suggestions for hire, fuel costs etc would be most welcome...

Many thanks

South of England.

Default Good start.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

As you rightly say, when doing a loop you can pick and choose your start and finish point from a few locations but it really is a case of shopping around to find the best combination deal available at the time of your travel as it isn't something that is fixed down.

The "best route" is the one that you choose for your purpose as there are so many options open to you, there is no such thing as a "one route fits all" scenario. You have a good start so I would continue by looking at a good map and looking at your options [the bit's between A and B on your list] while searching the RTA pages [top right of page] by using key words to get further info. Once you have got some of that figured out and fill in some of the gaps we can certainly make more meaningful suggestions and help you to "fine tune" your trip.

You will have no shortage of things to do on your "wish list" as it is all there to be seen, but you will need to work out how you want to spend your time. I travel by RV in the States and love to camp in the National parks and I would recommend you check out the NPS find a park where you can locate them and get all info available. Great scenery, and to add some names to the Grand canyon that you could also visit would include, Death valley, Zion, Bryce canyon, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Redwoods, Yosemite and so on.

With your group you will be looking at a 29/30 ft class 'C' RV, and all I can say is to compare rental Co's for costs, but make sure you add the extras in such as extra mileage charges, bedding/kitchen kits, prep fees and so on. Some of the larger one's that compete for business are Cruise America, El Monte and Road bear but quite often a booking agent will have better deals available. Expect to get a fuel return of 10mpg and campground fees to be from $18 to $50 a night depending on amenities etc.

Your round trip is in the region of 3000 miles but that will go up by quite a bit by the time you have taken detours, and although it is doable you will be surprised at how busy that could become, especially if you want to spend some quality time at places you visit.

Once you have the logistics worked out and done a little more research I am sure we can help out some more, enjoy the planning !
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 03-21-2010 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Typo's

Green County, Wisconsin

One thing I would say that I would include the Grand Canyon as a completely separate element of your trip from Vegas. Its a good 5 hour drive from Vegas, so its too far to do as a daytrip. However, with your current route idea, it will work nicely after Vegas, then working your way north into Utah, possibly stopping at Zion or Bryce (or going a bit further east through Monument Valley and up through Arches) as you make your way towards Salt Lake.

You've got Yellowstone that's not too far off your route, but you will have to be careful not to overstuff your trip. When you throw in everything, plus drive down the scenic but slow going coast, those three weeks will fly by.