1. Default Summer Roadtrip - CA to Yellowstone and Mt. Rushmore :)

I got such great advice and information before my last road trip here that I am back for some more!

I am busy planning a road trip for late May / early June. There will be 3 adults and 3 kids traveling. We will have 3-weeks, more if we have room left in the budget. Everyone is super excited and counting down the weeks until departure.

Our plan is to hop in the car with our luggage, a cooler of good snacks and drinks, and a basket of things to keep the kids occupied. We are going to take the trip one day at a time with no true itinerary and just see where it takes us. My friend wants to see a ghost town. My mom wants to see Yellowstone. And I want to see Mt. Rushmore. The kids are along for the ride and are eager to see all three (as we all are actually!!!).

Right now we are collecting ideas of where we can go & what we can see along the way. Great, but simple, hikes we can take. Good eats. Good places to consider staying. We would like to take a wagon train tour if we can find a good one. And we would like to take a rafting trip as well.

I welcome any and all suggestions you can offer :)

You can google ghost towns and find locations and some photos by state. There are lots of them.
    Be prepared for cold weather in Yellowstone. But it is beautiful because the steam makes the thermal areas more dramatic.
    You can google wagon train tours, I know there is one out of Cody, Wy area.
    You might want to check out this site in Wyoming were the Oregon Trail went through and left huge ruts in the land from all the wagon trains. The kids may be interested! http://www.hmdb.org/marker.asp?marker=5748
    Have fun!

Default Loosening the Belt

There's absolutely nothing wrong with jumping in the car and going where the road takes you. But I have usually found it's at least a pretty good idea to know which road(s) you're going to use. So, if you have 3+ weeks and the wherewithal to support the 6 of you on the road for that long, consider the following basic outline of a route that will keep the road ahead of you always a new adventure.

Head up to Yellowstone basically on I-15 past Las Vegas, Zion, Bryce Canyon, and the Great Salt lake, then use US-89 past Bear Lake and into the Grand Tetons on your way. East from Yellowstone to Mount Rushmore, consider US-212 and I-90 down the Beartooth Highway, by the Little Bighorn Battlefield, and Devils Tower. While in the Rapid City area also check out the Crazy Horse Memorial, Wind and Jewel Caves, and the Badlands.

Turn for home down US-18 and I-25 to Rocky Mountain National park, I-70 across the continental divide past Colorado National Monument, south on US-191 to Arches National Park and Monument Valley, and then US-160/US-180/I-40 by the Grand Canyon, Mojave National Preserve, and L.A.

AZBuck

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by AZBuck View Post
    There's absolutely nothing wrong with jumping in the car and going where the road takes you. But I have usually found it's at least a pretty good idea to know which road(s) you're going to use. So, if you have 3+ weeks and the wherewithal to support the 6 of you on the road for that long, consider the following basic outline of a route that will keep the road ahead of you always a new adventure.

AZBuck
    Oh, we will most definitely have a route to follow, just not an itinerary that leaves us feeling trapped. We are seasoned road trippers. I am just trying to gather the unique stops along the way that I might not come up with in my own searches but someone else has already been to and discovered. Also, trying to figure out which places are worth the stop, and which are better to just drive on past. Of course I could just park myself in front of google, and I have, but I like to get some perspective from first hand experiences.

5. Default

Anybody???

I would love some feedback on things to do up in the Mt. Rushmore/Yellowstone areas. That is our main destination and I would love to have some idea of what to expect and be able to research costs, etc.

Default The South Dakota Experience

For one of the best personal experience accounts of travel in western South Dakota, check out Peter's article on his adventure.

AZBuck