Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default From L.A., CA to Tallahassee, FL

This summer I will be driving down I-10 from near L.A. to Tallahassee. My actual destination is around 30 miles north east of Tallahassee but close enough to round. I was wondering if anybody has made the trip in 2 days and maybe a ballpark gas estimate although any information would be greatly appreciated. :)

Default Please don't !!

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

I was wondering if anybody has made the trip in 2 days
    If you asked the question "Has anyone driven while extremely drunk and made it" and the answer was "Yes" would you ?

I can assure you that not one of the regular contributors on RTA would recommend such a thing as it would mean driving for something like 38 hours in a 48 hour period which just isn't safe. We would normally recommend a 4 day trip which would be fairly relaxed if you were to drive 10 hours a day with regular stops and would be far more enjoyable to do so.

maybe a ballpark gas estimate although any information would be greatly appreciated
    Hard to say seeing as you haven't mentioned whether you are in a 40 ft rig or a Honda civic ;-) but you will find the Fuel cost calculator to the top left hand side of the page, type in the numbers and it will do it for you. [mileage is around 2250].

If you really need to get there that quick I would honestly get a flight, good luck.

Dave summed things up quite nicely. If the question is has anyone done the trip in two days - probably somewhere someone has, endangering the lives of everyone else one the road in the process. If the question is has anyone done this trip safely in two days, the answer is no - its simply not possible.

Just for a little comparison sake, a professional driver making this trip would be required by law to make 3 overnight stops on this trip. You're not a professional, and you're certainly not immune to the same physical limitations that have caused those laws to be created in the first place.

4. Default

Thank you guys for the input. I would rather not fly because it seems like everytime I do i end up stuck in an airport for rediculous amounts of time. I guess I will just add a day or two to the drive. I recently moved from south GA to CA so I want to maximize the time spent with my friends back home. Ive heard you can't get through Texas without getting pulled over. Any thoughts on that? Thanks again. :)

Its real simple, if you aren't breaking the law, you won't get pulled over. If you're speeding or doing something else that catches the attention of a law enforcement officer, then anything is possible. But that's true in any state, and its pretty silly to thing that one state is going to be that much different from the next.

Considering the speed limit on the western half of I-10 through Texas is 80 mph during daylight hours, I don't see why you would WANT to drive fast enough to get pulled over. Set the cruise control and don't worry.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    Its real simple, if you aren't breaking the law, you won't get pulled over.
    I wish that was true. lol. Ive been pulled over and searched before because and I quote "it looked like I wasn't wearing my seatbelt" and thats the FIRST thing I do when I get in any car. Im a 20 year old guy with long hair and a lazy eye. Cops tend to profile me and if I get another ticket I'll loose my license so the last thing I need is to be pulled over. lol thanks again for the replies. :)

Default Pulled over v offending.

So you might get pulled over [which isn't nice for no good reason] but surely you are not saying you have had tickets for offences you haven't committed ? If everything is in order you should have no problems but although I have never driven through Texas, I have also never heard of it being any different from any other State.

Good luck !

You are right that I oversimplified things by saying you'll never get pulled over unless you're breaking the law, what would be more accurate is to say you won't get pulled over unless you've done something to attract the attention of an officer. While breaking the law is the most common way to do that, its not the only way, and there are plenty of other things which might cause an officer to want to do a little investigation (and sadly, at times, appearance, especially because of race can be one of those issues).

Having said that, something tells me that if you have so many tickets already that you're just one ticket away from losing your license that you've done much more to attract a cops attention than being a 20 year old with long hair. (and if you're really been doing nothing wrong, why haven't you fought these tickets in court?)

I'm not doubting at all that your appearance (and your behavior) will be a factor in what a cop decides to do once you've been pulled over, and I suppose its possible that you are one of the few people who is doing nothing wrong and gets badgered by the cops all the time for no reason at all, but I'd say 95% of the time when people say they're frequently being singled out and profiled by the police, there is far more to the story than they want to admit.

10. Default

Well the tickets are for speeding and I deserved every one of them. lol they just usually treat me like some pot head punk. I hardly ever get the cops that genuinely want to help. I always get the ones who were bullys in high school and went nowhere so they became cops so they can still hassle people. lol this will be my first major trip and i just want to be prepared for everything.